And be nice 

See how long that lasts

Can we keep politics and religion out 

Of the conversation 

Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

I've only got to walk about five minutes in any particular direction and I'm into another territory.

There's birds everywhere! Ha ha.

It seems like last years' young ones don't tend to stick around after the latest brood have hatched.

The one I've made friends with disappears off into the wide blue yonder (wide blur yonder, when it's foggy), and onto the scene comes a new bird, so I start from scratch.

What's this one going to be like? Will I be shadowed as I walk up the garden? Will they be waiting there when I open the car door? Will they insist on having "their" shelf for feeding on?

In a month or so's time there's going to be a whole new little person/personality running around the garden, shrieking insistently at it's parents.

It's something to look forward to, seemingly endless weeks of baby magpie noise, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2031 of 12,453
Latest reply

I love the  'peep peep'  feed me noise.

It's funny when they're bigger than mum or dad

Message 2032 of 12,453
Latest reply

Baby magpies need taurine, which you don't get in mince.

It's, off the top of my head, for bone or nerve development. I can't say for sure, without looking it up.

I've heard horror stories of baby magpies fed exclusively on mince developing a condition much like rickets; not a good thing. 😞

I haven't done my homework, so I don't know where I'd get taurine, but I'm not about to start custom making magpie meatballs, so I'm not too worried by that.

If I was raising an abandoned baby magpie then it would be an issue, but with this lot, they're wild birds, they look after themselves.

They like to come in, in the evening, grab a couple of bits of bread and take off back to their tree, but I'm by no means the be all and end all when it comes to their diet.

They do okay, and they do okay out of me, too, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2033 of 12,453
Latest reply

They can get their protein from diggng up worms.

I'm not about to have them dependent on me for food.    They come for

their favourite thing in the whole world - walnuts

I also give them non-fruit muesli, which they also love

Then they sit and sing thank you (or are they telling the other Magpes dinner is on?)

Message 2034 of 12,453
Latest reply

I'll go with singing thank you. 🙂

The little girl magpie recently found her voice and she sings... about everything, ha ha.

"It's a beautiful day here in the garden, and you're making something that's obviously for me, and that makes me very happy".

She loves to sing. 🙂

I thought I was being kind in digging some earthworms up for her.

She saw things differently - they're not earthworms, earthworms are something you dig out of the ground.

You're holding those in your hand.

Erk!

Boy germs!

Ha ha ha ha!

She's a funny one.

🙂

Message 2035 of 12,453
Latest reply

I miss the Aussie Magpies, the Kiwi ones are different and are not friendly.

I miss the magpies knocking on the door in the mornings and singing for thier breakfast.

If I was younger I would go back to Aus.

Message 2036 of 12,453
Latest reply

Mother magpie, arrived on the bridge behind me (Sometimes I think they have some type of Star Trek inspired matter transporting system, because I don't hear them fly in) and stood there surveying the situation, glowering like a grumpy little thundercloud.

I put some macaroni out for her (I know the way to Mum magpie's heart, ha ha) and the transformation from fierce to friendly took a matter of milliseconds, ha ha.

Little girl magpie hovered in the background, at one point taking it upon herself to announce that I was there, and that you never really can be sure and maybe I was a bad person pretending to be the nice person that they know.

Her mother ignored her.

It's part of growing up. It's a skill that she'll need when she's an adult; communicating potential threats to other birds.

I happened to be useful as a metaphor, because I was there.

I could almost imagine her mother turning to her and saying "Don't be silly, dear, how could he possibly be a bad person? He brought macaroni...".

🙂

Message 2037 of 12,453
Latest reply

There wa a currawong in, this evening who had seen better times.

It'd had a depressed fracture of the skull, just above the beak.

One eye was, as far as I could see covered with scar tissue, and the other, due to the deformation of the skull, sat a couple of degrees off centre.

It was anything but the prettiest bird in the flock, but it was active, alert, behaving normally.

From the look of the scarring it wasn't a recent injury, either.

It came, it got something to eat, it left, just as the other birds did.

They all come here, the battered, the broken, the survivors, with their unspoken tales.

Shy little birds?

That female galah has been taking assertiveness lessons from Takeaway.

- I'm not happy to sit in the tree, or on the fence, and bleat at you, no, I'm here, on the ground, demanding to know where the food is.

And just to make sure you're clear on this, I'm going to peck this passing cockatoo, for emphasis (and startle it, in the process. The poor thing didn't know what was going on).

She takes pushy to a whole new level.

I'd better watch myself or I'll end up getting my feet bitten, ha ha.

Message 2038 of 12,453
Latest reply

Somebody was making a baby bird noise out the back, so I went to look.

There aren't meant to be any baby birds around, at the moment, so obviously somebody was having fun at my expense.

Hmm... Who do I chose from?

There's a neat little group arranged at the back door; two cockatoos, a currawong and the little girl magpie.

All of them looking innocent, ha ha.

I know the routine - While you're here, can we get something to eat?

They're cheeky.

🙂

Today's offering from Bunnings in the category of things I don't need, or want, but have to look at anyway; cement garden statues.

Australian native fauna.

The kangaroo...

The echidna...

The koala...

The meerkat.... What? I don't know how that one slipped in there, ha ha.

It's always a good outing.

😉

Message 2039 of 12,453
Latest reply

Mother magpie steps off a branch that's about the same height as the top of the roof, and drops, then suddenly, pretty much at the last moment, spreads her wings and glides over to me.

Mag(pie)nificent.

If I ever need the front hallway redone I'll keep her in mind - she really knows how to make an entrance, ha ha.

Option one; I didn't want that jacket, anyway.

Option two; I'm sure it can be replaced repaired.

Below the waist line, the jacket has a side entry pocket, and a pocket that sits over the top of that, a top entry one, effectively it's a cloth patch, sewn on.

The funny thing about the donkeys that I visited is that they can smell peppermints - the red and white stripy ones, while they're still in a sealed bag, and in a pocket.

They like peppermints.

Really like them...

That top opening pocket, as it turns out, is exactly the right size for a set of donkey teeth to grab hold of it, and pull, back, hard...

They got their peppermints.

And I got away more or less unscathed.

So, to cut a long story short, I'm sure the jacket's repairable... ha ha.

I'm glad I wasn't carrying them in the back pocket of my jeans - Ouch!

🙂

Message 2040 of 12,453
Latest reply