Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

arch.jpg

Message 2041 of 12,453
Latest reply

There was a bit of rain in the morning and the cockatoos decided that it isn't just mushrooms that should pop up after rain.

It was a case of birds everywhere, literally, to the point where there was no perching room, so some took to the ground.

At times like this I'm thankful that they've learnt "Move out of the way", and generally, they will, if told to.

There's half a dozen, maybe eight cockatoos on the ground in front of me, all of whom have to take three steps, then stop and look back at me, to make sure I'm still there, before taking another three steps, and repeating the process.

Meanwhile, I'm shuffling my feet and repeating words to the effect of "Move out of the way". (The longer it took, the more unprintable the suggestion to keep moving became, ha ha).

Just as I got to the end of the narrow path I looked back over my shoulder and there were another half dozen or eight birds behind me - Let's follow them!! This is a fun game!!

Shuffling along in the middle of a slow moving island of cockatoos, swearing.

I must have looked a sight, ha ha.

Message 2042 of 12,453
Latest reply

You are a ray of sunshine ecar, you bring wonderful humour and happiness ....   Heart

Message 2043 of 12,453
Latest reply

Thanks, Tas.  🙂

Message 2044 of 12,453
Latest reply

Without a breath of wind

the small apple tree

in full bloom

shakes

under the weight of the bees.

Message 2045 of 12,453
Latest reply

Image result for spring meme

Message 2046 of 12,453
Latest reply

The news of an earth tremor in New Zealand, this morning sparked a memory of a story told to me years ago by a bloke who'd been working in the highlands of New Guinea.

The story starts out about an hour, hour and a half after dawn.

The jungle hums, a constant low level cacophony - birds, and more birds, and more birds (and countless varieties of insects) all vying to make noise, suddenly fell silent.

Deafeningly, utterly, completely silent.

Some of the local dogs started whining, and then barking.

One of the men he worked with said that a big tremor was coming, and that for safety they should get out onto the street.

He said We were standing out in the open, in a small park opposite the buildings, there was this incredible hush hanging in the air, you could almost touch it, and suddenly there was a thunderclap, an explosion that you could feel resonating inside you.

The flying foxes left the trees - an explosion of leathery wings, a shrill, shrieking mass, it was as though an orange and black curtain had been drawn across it, darkening the sky above the park.

Flying foxes, as he relates, when they're particularly agitated, relieve themselves. Copiously.

At this point I remember laughing, uproariously, at his predicament.

He never did get round to telling me about the tremor, ha ha.

Message 2047 of 12,453
Latest reply

spring.jpg

Message 2048 of 12,453
Latest reply

I used to live in a place that didn't so much have a front lawn as a front dust bowl.

I got a free sample of "Lawn starter - lawn seed and fertiliser in one!" from a hardware store, and thought, for a laugh, I'd test it out.

A couple of weeks passed, and to my amazement there was lawn growing where before there had only been dust.

I was browsing through a hardware store catalogue earlier on and they have weed mat for sale.

I thought about it for a bit but I don't know where I'd put it, and they don't say what kind of weeds I'd get.

Bwah ha ha ha ha!

😉

I wish this rain would stop. It's starting to annoy me, now. I'm reduced to thinking up anecdotes like this one, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2049 of 12,453
Latest reply

Ecar, just don't buy any bird seed.

They won't grow, and you have enough birds as it is

Message 2050 of 12,453
Latest reply