Opening computer tower - what is the legal situation ?

Just wondering the legalities of opening a computer tower case to say execute internal device upgrade , keeping in mind the computer is 240v mains powered , and so has the appearance of being illegal for a non- a grade electrician to work on.

In other words is a desktop computer classified legally as a mains power device or low voltage or are there sub-sections of law that allow opening the case ?  

Is it legal for a non-a grade electricion to open the case for maintenance and upgrade tasks ?

No opinions please just legal regs , legal considerations valid in Victoria , Australia , by those familiar with the design of computers.

My problem in VIC is the consideration by non and vested interests that it is illegal for a non- "a grade" electrician to open a computer case - so has become a problem for me  in developing a niche computer related service, as I am not a sparkie by trade

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Thx , interesting link relating to workplace safety testing of mains power devices - but the question still remains : Is it legal within the State of Victioria ( Australia ) for a non a-grade Electrician to open the case of an operational computer ? 

A-grade Electricians are qualified to work on mains power devices and systems such as houses and washing machines etc whereby there is exposed mains power wiring and components.   

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Unplug it out of the wall and there you go. No mains power so joe blow from the back of Timbuctoo can open it and play around. Just dont forget static discharge can destroy chips.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

bs al 6160 , Most computer shop operatives "open it and play around" with computers - I am asking about the common law legalities of doing so

http://nextup.com

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I've known a few people that have had computer shops and as long they didn't touch/change the power supply

they could do whatever they liked to a PC,(the power supply is the only part regarded as electrical in a pc).

As getting a sparky in to "fix" a power supply is cost prohibitive they simply replaced them if they where found

to be faulty.

Similar to say a lamp where anyone can make any changes to it as long as they didn't touch/alter the power

supply,(eg: the cord and lamp socket).

As for the "legal" requirements involving a sparky being needing to look at the pc I've never come across,

(maybe contact a computer shop or two to see what they say?).

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Greetings go-tazz , your understanding is the same as mine and as evidenced by how the computer is designed , however the computer being a " mains power device  " and so illegal for the non-qualified to hardware maintain etc is promoted in my State and justified for the near total destruction of the means to commercially execute refurbishing - is why I need specific legal considerations enforcable in court . I can then lobby for positive change to the toxic culture that exists against low volume refurbishers / system builders etc . However if the legal consideration is that a computer is a main power device and so requires a-grade electrician work to execute tasks requiring opening of the case , then I am quite happy to lobby for strict enforcement even at corporate level and so effectively shut down the industry as I do not think that any tasks of that nature are conducted by those qualified for mains power electrical work 

rogespeed

Peoples Federal State of Victoria  

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Just to clarify my motive for asking about this issue . Is because I seek to reactivate an professional IT education course which includes hardware related subjects - but having improved my knowledge base through practical experience after having gained lesser qualifications I became aware of the community consensus consideration that a computer is a mains powered device and so I am not qualified to execute sub-system / device upgrades etc, regardless of my argued contention that it is designed as a low dc voltage device. The General public , community state funded groups , all the same. Hence my quest for a definitive legal position on this matter , so I can either cancel the course or quote the pertinent ACT of law in my justification to offer commercial ( "in pursuit of" . in my case ) computer hardware related solutions that is confirmed within the law as legal.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

now to add some info , according to ICAS3234B Care for Computer Hardware sect 1.1 Legal Requirements : states that "anything with a mains power connector can only be opened and repaired by a qualified technician"

However this document does not quote the pertinent law that may also have sub clauses relevent to a computer not does it define what a " qualified technician " is .  cert II Computer assembly and repair ? , IT diploma ,  a-grade electrician ? 

Having seemingly established that it is considered a mains power device 

So how does the law define a " qualified technician " in context of computer repairs ?  

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

now this is odd , while an workplace safety related course defines a computer as mains power ,  Energysafe Victoria does not note computers in there list of (mains powered ) equipment classes - there are toasters and massaging appliances but no computers .

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/technical-information/electrical-appliances-and-equipment/equipment-classe...

ESV is a regulator responsible for Electricity (usage) safety within the State of Victoria, they also certify contarctors ( technicians ?) 

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/about-esv/corporate-information/about-esv/

This would imply that computers are not considered a mains powered device from the view of maintenance / upgrading etc 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply