Windows 10 will this error message be fatal? Help please

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now have error message appear after start up.  "the ordinal 1 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\windows\system32\sqlunirl.dll"

I tried to find a fix on the web but was unsuccessful.  What happens if I ignore this error message? One post that I read said it can lead to computer completely slowing down and then fatal crash.

Can anyone advise or help? 

Thanks very much,

Prue

Suggested fixes on web:

uninstall /disable any SQL Server - could only remove one element, therwise I can't unistall

download the correct version of  sqrunirl.dll file - various links to this dll file lead to a dangerous site

various suggestions about updating/replacing drivers - doesn't seem to have anything to do with that

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows 10 will this error message be fatal? Help please

Out of date drivers is an issue that seems occurring more than ever before with W10 updates.

I've had a couple of BSOD because some driver manufactures aren't keeping up with W10 'improvements' 😞

It may be time to format the computer and make it squeaky clean again or you could try a suggestion from Microsoft first.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-AU/library/ms143412.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

If your computer is becoming dated, it may pay to buy a new "box only" with windows 10 installed rather than spending any money or time on existing box.

I bought a box only computer (very fast) for my father for 350.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Run the System File Checker (SFC) it will scan and fix any corrupt system files.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@digupatin wrote:

Run the System File Checker (SFC) it will scan and fix any corrupt system files.

Hi digupatin, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I did what you suggested and at the end it said "Windows Resorce Protection did not find any integrity violations".

From my limited understandfng, I don't think its to do with a corrupt file, but that Windows 10 is no longer supporting an early version of SQL Server (which I don't use but inherited on my computer). And I can't remove it using Control Panel.

Like I said, I just close the error message but am worried that something is going to go wrong if I continue to ignore it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Out of date drivers is an issue that seems occurring more than ever before with W10 updates.

I've had a couple of BSOD because some driver manufactures aren't keeping up with W10 'improvements' 😞

It may be time to format the computer and make it squeaky clean again or you could try a suggestion from Microsoft first.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-AU/library/ms143412.aspx

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Hi digupatin,

Thanks again, might need to go get some help to make computer " squeaky clean"! I did look at the microsoft link last week but it all seemed a bit above my head. Will have another look at it. But I'm not sure that I can log in as Administrator.

cheers
Prue
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If your computer is becoming dated, it may pay to buy a new "box only" with windows 10 installed rather than spending any money or time on existing box.

I bought a box only computer (very fast) for my father for 350.

image host
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks kopenhagen, I'm thinking the same thing. Will start looking around
Prue
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Try a registry cleaner such as ccleaner ( free ).

The main fatal error with Windows 8 or 10 is simply Windows 8 or 10...they are not good operating systems in my opinion but they do generate a healthy income for me as computer tech.

I get a lot of clients wanting me to return their PCs to Windows 7 due to bugs and design issues in 8 and 10.

The latest isn't always the greatest.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply