General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

xb50gs
Community Member

So Supercheap auto recently opened up in my town and I went for a wander, not really wanting aything in particular, just having a browse and a stickybeak to see how 'cheap' they really were.

As some of you know, I've worked in spares for about 20 years now and although not currently working due to an injury, I keep up to date with the industry with the hopes of returning one day.

Now first off, in my town there are 4 established auto part stores which have been in town at least 20 years each. Excluding Repco, the 3 other privately owned stores have staff who own modified cars, have all raced at one point or another and all live locally. Repco is the typical Repco who caters more for trade and is too expensive. However, Repco is right next door to Supercheap.

So, anyway, I have a look around and immediately notice things are not cheap! shock horror. Sure, their own brand stuff may be cheap, but its also crap. (I bought a jump starter for my ride on, so far its been returned 4 times in 6 months and it was $179 so not a 'cheap' one)

Example, I needed a battery for my 4wd. I noticed they had a Century N70ZZ and looked at the price. $229. I bought one from the local spares shop for $175 fitted. Supercheap quoted another $15 to fit it. My fanbelt for a Territory was $79.95. I picked up the same brand, same belt for $34.95.

They also didn't carry a common filter (Z115) for my Nissan and wouldn't supply one without me paying freight on it. Great, local spares have a Wesfil on the shelf for $8.95 which was less than the freight SC wanted to charge. Even in a Ryco SC was $49.95 and the local guys were about $22-$29.

They do have a good returns system, which is basically no questions asked, however, if you go to a shop that has knowledgable staff and you're supplied the correct item the first time, you don't need to return an item. I returned a drill to SC as it was faulty and basically I walked in said 'Hi, This doesn't work, its only about 6 weeks old' and I was told to go grab another one! I wonder how many people abuse the returns process!

Anyway, my point is if you do live in a town that has a Supercheap, don't believe the hype, or the name. Fact is, on a LOT of parts, they AREN'T cheaper and most of the staff don't know one end of a car from another. I was pointed in the direction of the catalogue when I asked for filters, and even when I asked if they had a Z115 they didn't know what it actually was.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

xb50gs
Community Member

Know how you feel. I'm as computer savvy as the next guy, but the computer systems for spare parts suck donkey balls.

My mate has slowly, reluctantly, kicking and screaming gone into OSCAR (waste of money) and Peach. There is a young guy who's been in the game 12 months and already knows more than me (yawn) who refuses to look in catalogues for anything, straight onto the computer into Oscar to find the part.

I might use it for some things like a tail light globe for a current model vehicle or something, but for gaskets, forget it. Gasket book, or knowledge stored in the grey thing upstairs.

I remember a few issues where they were chasing a tie rod end for a 90's non power steer Festiva. Went to the computer, and it gave part numbers but no dimensons. Ordered one, wrong, ordered another one, wrong. Ford couldn't supply it, the bloke was ready to burn the car.

I got out those funny things called verniers and drew up a diagram with measurements and then went to the catalogue and started comparing. First I went to Mazda as I knew the 121 and Festy shared some components, Guess what! The 121 tie rod has the same size, dimensions and threads! ordred 2, fitted up no problems.

He stood there stunned and shocked when the guy bought me in a 6 pack because they cost him $15 each when Ford told him $159 each if the could find them.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 11 of 56
Latest reply

I find that with a lot of store sin general who advertise guaranteed price matching and easy returns are much they same. yest they can be cheaper IF YOU ask, but if you dont they are not and most dont, they just assume they are. easy returns are also offered in stores where they have high margins in the first place.

definately hate that " no worries thats the right one mate" response when they clearly are just guessing. Having to go back to exchange can turn an hours job into a couple of days if you are not right next door to the store

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 12 of 56
Latest reply

TBH dealers can be the worst, if they cant find it on the comp it doesnt exist.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 13 of 56
Latest reply

Because of this thread -have been listening at the counter.

Bloke mention he was in the store --OP.

Someone asked about welsh plugs-the young fella

serving found bosch ones made in germany and others made in china ---none made in Wales-lol.

Yep Beagles--Oscar is as handy as a rubber shovel...........Richo.

Message 14 of 56
Latest reply

Gave one a bit of confusion a few weeks ago, when I asked for a sump gasket for a Holden Tri-matic.

Of course, he had to ask what model vehicle (not knowing a traumatic is a traumatic from '69 to '85 - and beyond for some applications). Became even more confused when I told him. "Zooki Vitara SE416"

Yes, they run a Holden Traumatic, imperial bolts 'n all ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 15 of 56
Latest reply

another tranny swap that you might not expect is a volvo 120/140 series manual box bolts up no mods to a bristol 6 in a Frazer Nash le mans rep. most of the original cars have this mod.

i think a maserati 3200 uses a holden box too.

Message 16 of 56
Latest reply

The wayne carr manager at my local repco .......since he frigged up my ex staff discount card X-(   .............. now cops me at odd times( if I am in town and see heaps of cars at ripco and it looks busy ..then that's the time) screaming down the phone that

"it's bloody Ronny from the industrial estate. (5 mechanics named Ron in the industrial estate) ................. "Debbie (AKA Debbie does parts deliveries ) said those parts would be here first thing` FFS pull your finger out and ring me back with an eta"........  then slam goes the phone...

Sometimes I go for the "12 variant interp" I like the holden gemini diesel/mazda 323 "marriage"... to get his eyeballs a spinning ...  he finally gets to  the "eureka I have it" stage... I wait for the price and  them I tell him he is too dear.... it's cheaper at Bursons

caught him that many times it ain't funny..... well not for him anyways.... most of the interpreters know my voice and flick me straight onto him... He definitely has an R carved in the soles of both shoes 

ole mates Henry and Pete Raymond I did tafe with and worked with for a while are managers at Bursons at Coffs and they give me the top discount and it still works out streets cheaper even with extra local freight added.

all sheila helpers at coffs supacheap.... I make a lot of enquiries about the items on the top and bottom shelves... but don't buy too much 

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 17 of 56
Latest reply

LOL-Viewmont re the top and bottom shelves-

didnt go through to the keeper!

Back to my store---the young blokes will ask me -

what uni joint suits a 9 in diff in -whatever.

Tell them it was all written in the front of the

catalogue under the counter---you threw out.

-look it up on Oscar------but its not on Oscar.

Rest my case.

Like fanbelts---Oscar lists the part no -but not

that 2 are need on some 4x4s....................Richo.

Message 18 of 56
Latest reply

sunartgallery
Community Member
Waiting out the front for my husband one day and watching this kid trying to fit wiper blades was very amusing
Message 19 of 56
Latest reply

Back to your post re delivery persons.-Viewmont.

The big R in a nearby town had a new delivery chick.

As the deliveries hit the despatch bench-she would make a list.

When about 8 needed to go---------she would deliver 

in the order she had written down-lol.

Down the industrial estate with one -back to just around the

corner from the shop-one a bit out of town --back to the industrial estate.----some workshops waiting -watched her drive past 5 times in an hour-LOL..........Richo.

Message 20 of 56
Latest reply