How does one go about reporting an item to ebay that is known to be fake, and getting a result?

Hello everyone. As my subject line says, how does one go about reporting an item to ebay that is known to be fake, and getting a result?

Item number 252200760742, which is for a John Deere tractor, has been advertised a few times now and by different sellers. Each time the item is listed with a different location (in Australia), the seller has zero feedback and had been an ebay member for less that a week when the ad first appears. As suspect as that is in and of itself, it's not conclusive proof of a scam. However, the same item (complete with the same photos and item description) has recently been advertised for sale on a local on line site in Atlana, Georgia USA while the ad appearing here lists the location as Lennox Head NSW.

http://www.adsinusa.com/c/5260/5260r2722.htm

This is just _waiting_ for some unsuspecting buyer to get ripped off, yet ebay seems keen to do nothing about it. I have reported the ad on three separate occasions where I have mentioned that I suspect the ad is fraudulent, but because of ebay's appallingly vague reporting system that doesn't allow you to leave any specific comments nor give the reporter any kind of feedback at all I have no idea if anyone at ebay has so much as looked at this.

So, I ask. Is there a solution to such problems, or is ebay's management of it's own site so horrendously bad that stuff like this is just allowed to flow through without any care for who it might affect?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Darren.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How does one go about reporting an item to ebay that is known to be fake, and getting a result?

go-tazz
Community Member

Looks like it has been removed by the account holder,(This listing was ended by the seller because there was

an error in the listing).

For future reference just go to the top of any eBay page and click on Help & Contact.

Then select Contact Us in the blue square > hover over Reporting a member and select Reporting a member

from the menu that appears.

That will then give you options on how to contact them,(eg: phone or Email depending on the time).

If you Email them then give them the item number and copy and paste the link from the original add that the

listing was taken from and a brief description why it's a fake/scam listing,good.gif

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How does one go about reporting an item to ebay that is known to be fake, and getting a result?

go-tazz
Community Member

Looks like it has been removed by the account holder,(This listing was ended by the seller because there was

an error in the listing).

For future reference just go to the top of any eBay page and click on Help & Contact.

Then select Contact Us in the blue square > hover over Reporting a member and select Reporting a member

from the menu that appears.

That will then give you options on how to contact them,(eg: phone or Email depending on the time).

If you Email them then give them the item number and copy and paste the link from the original add that the

listing was taken from and a brief description why it's a fake/scam listing,good.gif

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Many thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Regards,

Darren.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right discussion.

I posted this in eLsewhere but this is a more appropriate place.

I'm positive there are many dasgib_1963

I can't seem to contact eBay about this so I thought I'd mention it here first.

Here are a couple of listings j thought to be fraudulent. They were sold. I have been trying to pick these up before they stepsons but prices are too good.

The problem is that they are on the "sold" advanced search and therefore un knowledgeable buyers think that the pricing should be that of the fraudulent sales rather than the real selling prices.

Eg
291647486613 Listed as sold. I sent fraud reports to eBay about this listing. Now it's listed as sold and on the "sold" advance search. I believe eBay need to remove it.

The ones I missed to report but are listed as sold
And another dated 22/10/15

These are the same items
They are from low or no feedback sellers
If there is feedback its from buyers with high feedback probably because of the price it doesn't matter if it's $1 etc

I believe eBay needs to remove these "sold" listings. Like I said these people are bad for authentic sellers.

I try and monitor the categories I list in to get in to eBay. The first item here I sent a message to other sellers who also reported it. However the quick speed of eBay was just not available and 12 hours later the item was still listed then sold!! We know it's fraud EBay, protect us more.

Anyway, this needs to be look at more and as I said I believe these specific "sold" items need to be removed for authentic sellers

Update;
Another disappointed buyer I'm sure

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Instead of just looking at the price please go into each listing and you will find that they offer free pick up.

Fraudulent listings are always listed with postage only,(no pick up).

These listings aren't fraudulent they are simply listings sold by low feedback members that have believed

eBay's guff about starting them at a low price,(so bidders decide how much they will pay).

Maybe they wanted to sell them to get extra cash for Xmas?

They will stay there and reporting them isn't going to get them removed,(eBay will only remove listings that

they believe are fraudulent and these aren't).

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Here's another one

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Hi go-tazz, yes good idea, go to the feedback of each of these specific items I've listed.

Check out the photos, perhaps see if they've been used in other sales like them. In fact, they nearly all have.

I do my research and know my stuff, I'm not a newbie, and this message wasn't intended to be questioned but for those who see the facts that are in front of them so they may change a few things. I'm here to crack down on fraudulent activities.

The issues are not whether or not something is a pickup or not. Anyone can write that. Gosh, why would a scammer worry about a real address. I'm sure PayPal should be able to track the payment though right?

Fraudulent listings from fake accounts like these will continue to happen because they don't get reported until the packages don't turn up. The buyer gets their money back & Insurance pays the company for yearly losses.

The people it really hurts are us, the real sellers.

Thanks for your continued conversation though. I'll list more as I see some pop. As soon as I stop in one area, I stop looking though.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

And another
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

So all you do is report every low feedback seller as a scammer?

Others that have double digits don't get reported by you even though they sell theirs for a similar price and

even lower at times,(that's not searching for scammers,that's attacking sellers that have low feedback).

I don't know what you've told eBay but some of them have been removed,(which is weird as the only genuine

scam listing that I could see which was in your first post is still showing).

They were probably picked up and paid for in cash hopefully.

It's also called getting rid of your competition.

You have probably cost some of these sellers $500 and more each as Ebay will return the money to the

buyer if they paid by Paypal,so they end up with the item and the money,(hopefully they are honest and

will re-pay the seller.

You have no idea what a scam listing is if this is how you report them,(it's not governed by a lower price

and low feedback,there are other factors that come into it), stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@allfun_n_games wrote:

I do my research and know my stuff, I'm not a newbie, and this message wasn't intended to be questioned but for those who see the facts that are in front of them so they may change a few things. I'm here to crack down on fraudulent activities.

The issues are not whether or not something is a pickup or not. Anyone can write that. Gosh, why would a scammer worry about a real address. I'm sure PayPal should be able to track the payment though right?

This message was not intended to be questioned??   My haven't you got tickets on yourself?   So everyone is just supposed to take it as gospel that you know what you are talking about?
You are here to crack down on fraudulent activities?   So are a lot of other members....some of them have been doing it very successfully for many years.
Yes anyone can list as cash on pickup but they would very quickly be exposed as shonky if there are no items when the buyers turn up to collect their items.  The buyers would not lose anything except their time as they would not have paid by paypal anyway.  Neither buyers nor sellers have paypal protection for pick up items.
Maybe you need to think before you write the garbage that you have put in this thread....many members could see it as trying to get rid of your competition.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply