Is this a scam?

I found a listing for a Maxda CX-5 at the following address: REMOVED

It is listed at $5000 and only travelled around 78000kms.  I sent a message to email REMOVED and got a response from a Samantha Kelly claiming to be in the Australian Air Force selling the car she was awarded in a divorce settlement.  She said she is being deployed and selling car to give money to her mother who is going to be looking after her kids.

She says she has a deal with ebay where they'll ship the car to me for 5 day trial and she won't get the money until I'm satisfied with the car at the end of the 5 days at which point ebay will release to her the money I have paid.

Is this a scam?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 122
Latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Is this a scam?

What do you think ?

SCAM............SCAM.............SCAM

You will just need to send a couple of hundred for shipping to try the car out.

Of course there is no car. The photo's are usually taken from another listing in the past.

image host
Message 2 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

To add, if it seems too good to be true......................then it is.

The only way to buy a vehicle online is to have it checked first then hand over cash upon pick up.

Even then, one needs to be very careful that everything is genuine.

image host
Message 3 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

As kopes said - scam.

eBay/Paypal do not use escrow services in Australia. If you pay the money the scammer will get it. It might be put on hold, but that is not where they make the money. It's the shipping that they will require you to pay directly.

Message 4 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

The first time I heard of the "selling the car cheap after a marital break-up" scam was when my old man told me and mum in c.1960; he heard it from a bloke down the pub.

I suspect it was old even then.

Message 5 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

sawo_8742
Community Member

I've had exactly the same story from a Gyna Thomson regarding a Mazda 3. She says she's in the Australian Air Force, divorce settlement, mother looking after her kids, eBay and 5 day trial etc... so I think it's fair to say it's a scam and stay away. 

I will be reporting this to Scamwatch.

Message 6 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

just been offered the same car, if it's to good to be tryue 99% of the time it is a scam!

Message 7 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

m4d-26
Community Member
Been offered the same scam from Angela Mary Quig for Toyota RAV4 80,000 km
Said exact same spiel, awarded car from recent divorce. in defence force about to be deployed. Needs the $ for her mum to look after kids. 😡
Message 8 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

I have had 2 of these this week. There must be a lot of divorced RAAF staff being deployed this week that have been awarded custody of their kids that will be staying with the sellers mother lol...... These were both listed in FB Marketplace.

1st one:

Hello,sorry about the late reply busy with work!

Well let me just jump right into it. I just got divorced and the Hyundai was awarded to me in our divorce. I have a low price ($5,000) because I want to sell it before August 20th ideally.
I have a deployment coming up and would prefer to have my mother who is taking care of my children, have the cash instead. 

Now, a few words about this 2014 Hyundai i30 active. It will come with Roadworthy Certificate and Rego so you don't have to do the running around Registration in NSW, paid until 15/4/21.  In perfect working condition, with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! This Hyundai has 58, 320 kilometers on the clock.
Never involved in any accident. No scratch to the paint, no sign of rust. Transmission type: Automatic. 
Owned by non-smoking family with no pets in vehicle, interior always clean and tidy. 
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Royal Australian Air Force Dan Mitchell

2nd one:
Hello,

Well let me just jump right into it. I just got divorced and the Toyota was awarded to me in our divorce. I have a low price ($4,920) because I want to sell it before August 23th ideally.
I have a deployment coming up and would prefer to have my mother who is taking care of my children, have the cash instead.

Now, a few words about this 2015 Toyota Corolla Levin Sx Cvt, comes with registration and a full RWC in perfect working condition, with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! This Toyota has 80,000 kilometers on the clock. 
Never involved in any accident. No scratch to the paint, no sign of rust. Transmission type: Automatic.
Owned by a non-smoking family with no pets, has just been fully detailed interior and exterior including steam clean.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. Rego till 22 November 2020
Let me know if you have any questions.

Royal Australian Air Force Hanna Brook

always serviced , log books,tinted windows, leather seats,full power option, alloy wheels, navigation , reverse camera, condition as new
Message 9 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

hey i got literally the same email. so is this a scam? damn i nearly bought into the bull**bleep**.

Message 10 of 122
Latest reply