Is this a scam?

I found a listing for a Maxda CX-5 at the following address: REMOVED

It is listed at $5000 and only travelled around 78000kms.  I sent a message to email REMOVED and got a response from a Samantha Kelly claiming to be in the Australian Air Force selling the car she was awarded in a divorce settlement.  She said she is being deployed and selling car to give money to her mother who is going to be looking after her kids.

She says she has a deal with ebay where they'll ship the car to me for 5 day trial and she won't get the money until I'm satisfied with the car at the end of the 5 days at which point ebay will release to her the money I have paid.

Is this a scam?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 122
Latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Is this a scam?

Yes, it is a scam.

And always will be.

If you want a car, inspect it before purchase, get a roadworthy, make sure it's unencumbered.

Message 11 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

Yes, definitely a scam. 

@ni-220049 wrote:

hey i got literally the same email. so is this a scam? damn i nearly bought into the bull**bleep**.

Message 12 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

Hi again as I've told you in my first e-mail, I'm in the Air Force with my medical team and right now I am on a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country.
Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days. You will have 5 days to test and inspect the Hyundai, prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the Hyundai and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the Hyundai back on my expense.I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Warmest regards,
Hanna
Message 13 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

rid7455
Community Member
Ooop I thought something smelled fishy.
Message 14 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

I got the same message from this lady Hanna Brook yesterday about hyundai I30 2016 selling urgently.What should i do report to the police
Message 15 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

Scam scam scam
Message 16 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

au.lohs
Community Member
just don't fall for low prices. I got done.
Message 17 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

I received the same story / message Buddy. It's a Scam 

Message 18 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

SCAM still going how has this emailer not been caught?

Email 1

Hello,

Well let me just jump right into it. I just got divorced and the Prado was awarded to me in our divorce. I have a low price ($6,900) because I want to sell it before August 21st ideally.
I have a deployment coming up and would prefer to have my mother who is taking care of my children, have the cash instead.

Now, a few words about this 2011 Toyota Prado GX 150series 4WD 3ltr Turbo Diesel. It will come with Roadworthy Certificate and Rego so you don't have to do the running around Registration in Queensland, paid until 09/07/2021. In perfect working condition,with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! This Prado has 86,300 kilometers on the clock.
Never involved in any accident. No scratch to the paint, no sign of rust. Transmission type: Automatic.
Owned by non-smoking family with no pets, interior always clean and tidy.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Royal Australian Air Force Hanna McFadden

Email 2

Hello again Stuart, as I've told you in my first e-mail, I'm in the Air Force with my medical team and right now I am on a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country.

Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days.You will have 5 days to test and inspect the Prado, prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the Prado and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the Prado back on my expense.I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Warmest regards,

Hanna McFadden
Message 19 of 122
Latest reply

Is this a scam?

Message 20 of 122
Latest reply