What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

😐

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

Petrol engines fire from a spark, the knock rating of petrol is much higher than diesel which is really a high grade mineral oil.

Diesels do not use a spark to fire they are called CI engines or compression ignition. Diesel engines run at a much greater compression ratio and it is actually the "heat' of compression that causes the fuel to fire when injected at a precise point

The knock rating of diesel is a little better than mineral oil

While petrol will combust and explode in a diesel engine it quickly raises the combustion temp and will damage the engine through engine "knock" (essentially the contained explosion is too big for the allowed swept volume) and blow a hole in the top of the piston

If you drain the tank and if it has been started then change your fuel filters as well everything will be hunky dory

It happens a lot more often than you would think

Tharts why diesels will run on strained fish and chip oil, treated strained sump oil vegetable oil.... eucalyptus oil, HEMP OIL (the best by a mile..... don't get me started)

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 11 of 69
Latest reply

I should also add that if you still had diesel in the tank and then filled the rest with petrol and have driven it a short distance then you may not notice any difference ( at present) this is because of the viscosity difference ie. diesel has a much greater viscosity and therefore "settles" below petrol in a mixed tank.

Your fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank and although a little may be blended generally diesel is being picked up. As the tank empties the petrol diesel ratio increases to the point of knock and then piston destruction.

... so if you think you may have gotten away with it...... then think again

Message 12 of 69
Latest reply

I've never looked but aren't the pumps different at servo's so technically,you shouldn't be able to put the wrong one in your vehicle because the nozzle won't fit or something ?:|

Message 13 of 69
Latest reply

I've never looked but aren't the pumps different at servo's so technically,you shouldn't be able to put the wrong one in your vehicle because the nozzle won't fit or something ?:|

diesel has the biggest sized spout so that it is easy to put petrol in a diesel. newer vehicles (since 1986 and the end of leaded petrol have a smaller fuel neck on the car so it is nearly impossible to put diesel into a car made after 1986 pre 1986 models will accept the diesel fuel nozzle.

Older diesel engines do not run well either on "modern diesel" and modern car diesel engines do not run as well on "truck diesel".

You will notice that most petrol stations also have seperate bowsers for trucks not only for high delivery purposes but also because of the way the engines are designed

Message 14 of 69
Latest reply

colic, what do you think of standard unleaded fuel these days? there was a point i wouldnt use it - a general belief you were worse off then using premium. premium unleaded is more enconomical and runs cleaner, the little bit more you pay in the long run you save.

they say (other motorists) standard unleaded is better quality fuel now? 

Signatures suck.
Message 15 of 69
Latest reply

I only use standard unleaded (92) in small engines ie lawnmowers, pumps. (and if I remember blend 50/50 92/95) I would like 5 cents for every mates car I have "tuned up" (after they have fiddled, replaced,added additives for eons) by waiting for their tank too be nearly empty, bunging in a full tank of premium and then finding somewhere that I can nail the accelerator to the floor many times for an extended period.

Only run your multi pistoned engine at a minimum of 95 octane rating

... your engine, your mechanic and your hip pocket will all thank you

Message 16 of 69
Latest reply

Can you confirm that you should avoid at all costs the petrol with ethanol and not fall for the cheaper price. I was told that it would decrease engine life considerably.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 17 of 69
Latest reply

Hi thanks for the replies.

OK the mix is about 3 litres of petrol. I think the tank holds 60-65 litres.

The vehicle is a work ute and I was fuelling it because someone was taking it that afternoon (yesty) and returning it wednesday. I advised them to not let the tank get too low and keep topping up with diesel.

After reading this thread I am now cacking myself.

Message 18 of 69
Latest reply

What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

BOOM new engine now needed

Message 19 of 69
Latest reply

thanks Hawk  NOT X-(

just did some googling and the tank capacity is 76 litres, so the mix ratio is less than 5 %.

More googling suggests that it will be ok.

I hope ol' mate keeps the tank close to full like I suggested.

I only picked the car up from the panel beaters on thursday from a slight altercation I had with a power pole and steel cable. $ grands worth of repairs. The boss is never going to let me drive it again.

Assuming it makes it back from where ever it has gone 😐

Message 20 of 69
Latest reply