What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

😐

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

An owner of an original Ford GT40 , (it was either John Bonham or Tiff Needell i cant recall) filled his road-going car with diesel when inebriated .

Message 21 of 69
Latest reply

uh-oh. Just read the RACQ site :_|

If you’ve put petrol in a vehicle fitted with a Common Rail diesel injection system, don’t even turn the key, as the electric fuel pump will circulate the petrol through the whole system, necessitating a major repair.

The extent of the work required to rectify petrol in a diesel vehicle will depend on the type of vehicle and how long it has operated on the wrong fuel.

In the worst case, expect a bill for several thousand dollars (repair costs of in excess of $10,000 are common), as rectification could require repair or replacement of much of the fuel system, as well as repairs to the engine itself if it has suffered damage

in other words, what Hawk said. :_|

Message 22 of 69
Latest reply

thanks Hawk  NOT X-(

just did some googling and the tank capacity is 76 litres, so the mix ratio is less than 5 %.

More googling suggests that it will be ok.

I hope ol' mate keeps the tank close to full like I suggested.

I only picked the car up from the panel beaters on thursday from a slight altercation I had with a power pole and steel cable. $ grands worth of repairs. The boss is never going to let me drive it again.

Assuming it makes it back from where ever it has gone 😐

you never said how much petrol you put in, one can only think you topped it up with petrol which wont end well,

perhaps providing all relevant info will return better info 

Message 23 of 69
Latest reply

apparently diesel in petrol isn't nearly as catastrophic as petrol in diesel.

The older type diesels can tolerate a bit of petrol but not the common rail type.

I've heard truckies tell stories of putting a gallon of petrol in their fuel tanks to make the truck go a bit faster. Apparently it would cause flames to shoot out the exhaust stacks :O:^O

Message 24 of 69
Latest reply

Sorry Hawk, I did sort of (see posts 17 & 19 ) but wasn't very clear.

The tank was about 1/4 full, I put in 2.89 litres of petrol then added 40 something litres of diesel.

Anyway it would seem I have done a bad, bad thing and the vehicle will be rodent droppings.

Message 25 of 69
Latest reply

a small amount of petrol (less that 5%) is some times added to increase performance, any more will put the engine at risk of serious damage.

I doubt it would be recommended for the more modern high performance diesels that rev to much higher RPM

Message 26 of 69
Latest reply

Sorry Hawk, I did sort of (see posts 17 & 19 ) but wasn't very clear.

The tank was about 1/4 full, I put in 2.89 litres of petrol then added 40 something litres of diesel.

Anyway it would seem I have done a bad, bad thing and the vehicle will be rodent droppings.

Its only a very small amount so you may get away with it, you could drain half the tank or more out out and top up with diesel to halve the amount and them use what you have taken out in small quantities over the next few refills

Message 27 of 69
Latest reply

My only concern would be that you have 3 lts of petrol sitting at the top of the tank until you let the tank get to nearly empty and it may then use the petrol. But colic sounds like he would know if it should be drained or not.

image host
Message 28 of 69
Latest reply

My only concern would be that you have 3 lts of petrol sitting at the top of the tank until you let the tank get to nearly empty and it may then use the petrol. But colic sounds like he would know if it should be drained or not.

Petrol and diesel are both hydrocarbon based and will mix instantly.

pimpy I dont know how reliable this info is but it sounds reasonable that adding oil to make up for the lack of lube from the petrol is good.  read this artical http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_you_do_if_you_have_accidentally_put_petrol_in_diesel_car

Message 29 of 69
Latest reply

Try nitrous oxide next time OP.

TCT
Message 30 of 69
Latest reply