Is it safe to ship?

tim651439
Community Member

I am a first time eBay seller selling an Xbox One gaming console and someone sent me an offer on the 31st of May, and when I checked his account he had made his account on the 31st of May too. Immediately this brings red flags. Quite stupidly of me, I sent him a counteroffer to which he accepted through the eBay system and I received a sale confirmation email from eBay. While the account creation date is alarming, it also is unsettling that on my offer history eBay states that the offer was declined, however I received an official eBay email saying sale confirmed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will answer everything I can. 

Edit: As I am a first time seller, I cannot wait for the payment to reach my account until I can ship as it is withheld from me until delivery confirmation.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is it safe to ship?

If the item is saying sold on your selling page, click the drop down at the right of the item, and click on view order details. That will give you the buyer's name and address. If its saying anywhere outside Australia, then you are likely being scammed. 

Everyone starts with 0 feedback and most new buyers will buy something the day they create their account. Chances are they are legit, BUT, if you have red flags, and alarm bells going off, cancel the sale and use the option that there is something wrong with the buyer's address. 

If they turn around and neg you, then you can ditch this account and create a new one. It's not like you'd be losing a stack of feedback.

As for the 21 day hold, as Padi said, you MUST post if the payment has been made. You are in violation if you don't. If you can't afford the $15 postage you had listed, then you'd be better off on Facebook, with cash on pick up. All new sellers are subject to the  hold, as are long term sellers who have a year or so off. 

Where is your buyer located? You can check on their feedback page where they registered the account, and also as mentioned above, in the view order details. As the item is showing as sold when I checked your page, you should be able to see where they are.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Is it safe to ship?

@tim651439 wrote:

Edit: As I am a first time seller, I cannot wait for the payment to reach my account until I can ship as it is withheld from me until delivery confirmation.

Someonr else will be along to answer the main part of your question. but you cannot fail to send until your money is freed up after 21 days. You will almost certainly get a neg if you do and your selling career will be over pretty quickly.

You must send within your handling time of 2 business days., once you can show either the item has been delivered or you get feedback from the buyer you can ask Paypal to release the money.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

I understand all of that I cannot afford to wait 21 days until my payment is sent. But my initial question was whether in experienced eBay sellers' opinion if it is safe to ship the item and whether or not it is guaranteed that I will not be scammed.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

@tim651439 wrote:

I understand all of that I cannot afford to wait 21 days until my payment is sent.

In that case you shouldn't be trying to sell anything on eBay. Go to Gumtree or Facebook instead.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

@tim651439 wrote:

But my initial question was whether in experienced eBay sellers' opinion if it is safe to ship the item and whether or not it is guaranteed that I will not be scammed.

Ther is no guarantee you won't be scammed, all you can do is send with tracking and maybe insurance as well to cover yourself, also take note of any serial number on the item and photograph it.

To be honest, your buyer (presuming they are genuine) may well be the one who thinks they are being scammed and will likely open a dispute against you when the ETA has passed if you don't send it promptly................the money will then be held until the case is resolved, and the buyer will probably win and be repaid.

And that will be the end of you selling on eBay.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

Does your Paypal account show the payment? it should be pending, but it should still show. Have you received a confirmation email from Paypal? If not, there is a fair chance you are being scammed.

What does your listing show in eBay? If it's still for sale, then you haven't sold the item.

Scammers target new sellers selling electronics.

Hover your mouse over the headers of the emails you have received. If they don't end in eBay or paypal, they are undoubtedly not legit.

What padi says is true, but it only applies if there was an actual sale.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

It's shown in the OP's completed listings dave.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

If the item is saying sold on your selling page, click the drop down at the right of the item, and click on view order details. That will give you the buyer's name and address. If its saying anywhere outside Australia, then you are likely being scammed. 

Everyone starts with 0 feedback and most new buyers will buy something the day they create their account. Chances are they are legit, BUT, if you have red flags, and alarm bells going off, cancel the sale and use the option that there is something wrong with the buyer's address. 

If they turn around and neg you, then you can ditch this account and create a new one. It's not like you'd be losing a stack of feedback.

As for the 21 day hold, as Padi said, you MUST post if the payment has been made. You are in violation if you don't. If you can't afford the $15 postage you had listed, then you'd be better off on Facebook, with cash on pick up. All new sellers are subject to the  hold, as are long term sellers who have a year or so off. 

Where is your buyer located? You can check on their feedback page where they registered the account, and also as mentioned above, in the view order details. As the item is showing as sold when I checked your page, you should be able to see where they are.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

When I wrote that I meant I cannot afford to wait 21 days until my payment is received for me to then ship the item because I will be held responsible for possibly running a scam, not that I can't afford to not receive the money immediately.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Is it safe to ship?

Yeah it shows that the item is sold and the email is ebay@ebay.com so it should be legitimate, it's just the new account creation that was bothering me and the offer saying declined even though I received a sale confirmation. Either way I think I'm comfortable shipping now, thank you!

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply