$3 Auctions & No relists for business sellers in OZ

Picked myself off the floor when I saw the new fees for $3 for auctions (not in collectable category).

What the ??

Business sellers are already penalised for being a business by having no access to auto relists.

Now a store auction is going to cost me double the price - um **bleep** is the rationale behind that ?

Started a new thread as other current fee change thread seems pretty focused on new store fees & is going to get very very long.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: $3 Auctions & No relists for business sellers in OZ

More news for eBay's members, in the form of an automatically-generated message:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We're making changes to seller entitlements and fees from 14 February 2017. Most of these changes will only affect sellers who subscribe to a Store.

However, please note we are changing the cap on Final Value Fees per item from $250 to $400. This change will apply to everyone, even non-Store sellers. This change will not affect you if you do not sell items over $2,525.

To view the full update to seller entitlements and fees please visit the Seller Centre .

Regards,
The eBay Team
Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

BINs sell better on eBay because they have driven the markeplace that way and killed the auction market in the process of pushing BINs.  

I would not have such an issue with it, if stores were able to access the same 40 Free Auction Listings that non-store IDs have, without having to set up seperate IDs.   Having to run multiple non-store IDs is just not good for small business growth (or their operators)  to have to operate in this bizarre manner.  

Or is it more that eBay really want to only sell New items and get away from used, preowned etc and into the commodity market?. 

For example I would rather sell new DVDs as BIN, the market price is pretty much set, however, what do you price a used DVD, an auction is the best way to find out.  I use DVDs as an example but I think you could apply the same to most commodity type items

I have long suspected that your above statement is correct. My guess is not only do ebay want used items off of the site, they are actively using strategies to phase them out .

Some of these strategies are

* the doubling of fees for auction listings for stores.

* the public announcements encouraging small store sellers to list bulk new items instead of used items.

*  the active courting and promotion of larger business customers

* the use of policies to encourage long time, succesful sellers of used items such as " F.I.A "  to leave the site.

*  the use of cassini to control the visibility of used item listings and the resulting decline in sales of used items

*  my store sales are consistent to within 2 % each month. I had a reduction of 20% in the amount my stores sold around 12 months ago. I believe I have recently had another reduction of 20% in my sales figures with sales now settling within 2 % of a new lower, nice round monthly figure. ( my sales are consistently sitting within $20 of a new four figure monthly sum. ) The fact that my sales appear to be capped and the cap reduced by 20% per annum gives a time frame of around 5 years from now for the process of removing used items from the site to be complete.

* Non store holders are not being affected in any way by these policies. Ebay may plan to spin off a seperate small platform for these non - store accounts, keeping the stores selling new items on the main platform..

My guess is that within 5 years, once the phase out period and processes have done their work, ebay will announce that due to the small volume of used items being sold, they will no longer be accepted on the main site and the private sellers will be moved to a new smaller platform or gumtree........Job done.!!!.

It would be easy to get angry at ebay for going down this path, but they cant just make a public announcement saying within 5 years used goods will be banned from the site. The public backlash would be instant and ferocous, crippling an already sruggling business. At least they seem to be following an extended transition process, allowing sellers plenty of time ( and warning ) to adjust to the changes by either moving to selling new items in stores or leaving the site voluntarily to follow other income producing strategies.

Yes its only a theory, but has anyone got a better one ????

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I agree.  Their own numbers indicate the same trend, note these are ebay Globally (sorry I don't have Australia only data)

Approx 87% sales are Fixed price

Approx 81% are New Items

Approx 67% sales have Free Shipping

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

I agree.  Their own numbers indicate the same trend, note these are ebay Globally (sorry I don't have Australia only data)

Approx 87% sales are Fixed price

Approx 81% are New Items

Approx 67% sales have Free Shipping

It would be interesting to take China sales out of this equation and see how the figures read then.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I think that if eBay put adequate investment into Gumtree as its main platform for one-off new / seconds / used goods in Australia it has potential to be a very good thing.

Weeding out the scammers that are blatantly active on the site might take a bit of work though.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

will say bye bye to ebay soon.
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Understandable.

500ish listings, 400 sales per month. eBay is obviously not for you.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

How much is the auction listing fee in the 'collectables' category? Hard to keep up with these never-ending fee changes.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Really mods? Moving a 9 month old thread? Wouldn't your time better spent locking old threads to stop people resurrecting them? I really don't think anyone really cared that this one was probably on the wrong board. Least of all the OP who isn't even a member of eBay any more (on this account anyway).

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply