80's bling jewellery vintage or retro?

I have some gold plated 1980's necklaces to sell and I'm unsure of the category to list them.

According to some it's considered vintage but I always assume vintage has to be 50yrs plus.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yes… I wouldn’t think of jewellery from the 80s as vintage. In the jewellery trade, vintage covers jewellery that’s between 50 and 100 years old. I’d consider 80s jewellery to be Modern Era… but having said that, some people (probably buyers in their 20s) would consider 80s jewellery to be either vintage or retro.

BUT … Australian eBay jewellery categories are ridiculously limited… so you really want to know, I suppose, if you can/should list in the Vintage and Antique subcategory…?

I suspect, given the eBay limitations, that you probably would be best off giving that a try, although I cringe as I type that.

Is your target market 20-somethings? If so, I’d definitely go with retro/vintage; if you think there’ll be more interest from 40-somethings and upwards, I would probably be more correct about it and present it as Modern Era, 1980s, but not within the vintage/antiques subcategory.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply contessa I think we have the same mindset, they'd probably get more views in the vintage stuff but I'll feel guilty listing them that way.

tyngwyn thank you for your reference to the article.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply