99% of buyers asking for pick up never turned up

I sell some old video games. I don't list local pickup as an option. Still, many poeple ask for pickups. So far I've had around 30 such cases. I always replied politely, answered all their questions, and gave them my address.

What I don't understand is, only 1 out of these 30 actually turned up. The rest of them just disappeared for no reasons. A few of them said "Sorry I changed my mind", the majority just vanish.

I live in Melbourne's inner East, reasonablly easy to reach. I find this quite strange. For a while I refused all pickup requests. Some got angry and asked me why, and I just ignored them.

This morning, I got another "urgent" pickup request and needed my help "ASAP". Initially I was going to refuse again, but then I felt sorry and decided to give this person a go. I asked for the tine he / she would turn up as I can't be commited staying at home entire day.

And of course there was complete dead silience. No replies.

I think this is the very last time I'll ever bother with any pick up requests.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I find that pick up itself is a fine concept, but like anything, it depends a lot on how reasonable the buyer is and that you can't know till after the fact.

I've done a lot of pick ups, both as buyer & seller.

My last buyer was a FB woman who seemed eager to pick up. Maybe she expected to come round right then & there (it was 9.30pm). The  next 2 days didn't suit so she made an appointment for 3 days later, changed it twice, didn't arrive at all, then next morning messaged me to say she would pick up at 11am that day! No "Sorry" or "Are you free?". When I replied it would have to be by 10.30am or after 2pm, she replied that I was making it too difficult so forget it.

So my attitude now is a bit soured. I must admit I have had a lot of great buyers but looking back, I think the key is if they are reasonable from the start, keen to fit in with a time that is mutual (not just what they want) and are willing to commit to a narrow time range eg 10am-10.30am. If they don't turn up, that's the end of them.

Pick up carries with it a slight security risk. Unless it is a heavy item, maybe furniture, I would not let strangers into my home. I have an enclosed front porch. They get no further than that.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I only offer pick-ups for big, expensive, heavy stuff. The small, cheap items get too many impulse buyers who change their mind before they hop in the car.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Seeing your items are "free postage" I don't know why your buyers want to pickup.    

Maybe your messages are not getting through tho, ebay jumps on any hint of trading off ebay

I think I would just change my settings to instant payment and don't worry about the messages about pickup.

You might like to add to descriptions - I do not allow pickup?

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

It is possible that your reply to the message is automatically being blocked by eBay.

Unless the member hits the buy now button eBay will consider the back and forth messages as an attempt to sell "off-eBay" and bots can block the messages from being delivered.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

I started declining pickup requests a few years ago due to the amount of changing times/dates, lateness and no shows that occurred.

I don't believe messages like that are being blocked by eBay, as buyers who try naughty things with me always respond to my discouraging reply.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:
I started declining pickup requests a few years ago due to the amount of changing times/dates, lateness and no shows that occurred.

I don't believe messages like that are being blocked by eBay, as buyers who try naughty things with me always respond to my discouraging reply.

but that’s the difference between your messages and the OP’s messages.

Yours were discouraging, theirs were facilitating.

Maybe the bots let discouraging messages through.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks for the comments. Update:

I sent another reply to the gentleman who requested pickup, politely notifying I will not remain at home for the rest of the day.

He replied this time, saying he's already got what he wanted from someone else.  So it's not the eBay bot, it's just this gentleman didn't even bother to let me know until I told him I would not be at home.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

good grief! Have you asked him to cancel so you get your fees back?

Do as curraone suggested and put on your BBL
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Wow, that's kind of bizarre, I've never had a no-show. Maybe it is your approach to them?

I do offer pickup in my listings, but I make them fit around my schedule, I will say something like:

I'm only available in the evening until tuesday, I will be available all day then.

I also won't give out my address until they have made a purchase and I tell them to either use cash on pickup or paypal.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

So let me get this straight. He has your address and knows when you won't be home. Wow. Are you not worried for your security?
Message 10 of 30
Latest reply