A little help please on an international sale

I had an international sale to the Ukraine two nights ago.  I don't sell international and rather thought I had my blocks in place.  Had planned on just ignoring them for 4 days and going thru with an unpaid item.  They have contacted me for an invoice.  Normally I would not worry but this item is considered to maybe on a Customs Restricted Item list and they may not get it at all.  I have not replied to them yet.  Just want to know the best way to deal with them so that they don't get annoyed and give me a neg or I get a slap from ebay. The item is a very small price $10.00 and it is a special Chrome Cassette.  Question, why buy this from an Australian seller?  Can they neg me for going unpaid?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: A little help please on an international sale

But if the buyer specifically rejects the cancellation the seller does not get their fees back.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

@unique_pre-driven wrote:

Hi Engish Rose,  that's interesting what you have said.  I thought that if I cancelled I would get an instant defect.  I got a negative for a scam return, (had shirt for 6 weeks and discovered a stain) last Christmas and it was just as I had to close down, had to work in the USA for a while and have just started back up.  My feedback is around high 96% to 97.1%  as obviously I have not had the sales to get past that one and even now can't get feedback from anyone to help with that problem.  Hopefully Christmas this year I will go back to 100%.  Anyway, I obviously can't afford any further defects or negatives so I really need to protect myself.  Will hang on until tomorrow and see if the buyer has anything else to say to me.  What a pain.

All offerings of ideas are welcome.

If you cancel for an out of stock reason you WILL get an instant defect.

But if you cancel because there has been communication between you and the buyer via ebay messages requesting you to cancel you will NOT get a defect. We have never gotten one going this way. Although I normally use the unpaid item dispute path.

If you choose the reason there is a problem with the buyres address you should NOT get a defect, although I have never tried this path. For you this is a valid reason as your listing stated no international sales on the item.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But if the buyer specifically rejects the cancellation the seller does not get their fees back.

This is very true. This is always the risk with the cancellation process.

You would have to try to plead with ebay CSR to get back your fees this way. Good luck with that.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Feedback and DSRs no longer impact your defect rate - since 20th February

Defect rate - measures effective customer service.

The new, simplified defect rate includes just two measures:

• Seller-cancelled transactions for items that are out of stock or can't be fulfilled for any other reason.
  • Cases that are closed without seller resolution - this is the number of eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Buyer Protection cases that you havenโ€™t resolved with your buyers that have been found in favour of the buyer.  

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/news/seller-standards

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I don't care about not getting my fees back, I just don't want a neg. -  I can't aford it.   

I did hear back from the buyer, he wants the cassette as he is a collector of these.  Ok so I sent him an invoice with $35.00 postage, to cover my ebay and pay pal fees for the post and any foreign transaction fees.  So now he wants cheaper post.  Not going to worry about it any more.  He will either pay or not.  Hope his insistance on me sending the item will be enough to get any negative comments taken from me.

Thanks all

I am sure this matter has not ended though........

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Why would a blank cassette tape be on a Customs Restricted list?

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

It is a special chrome one and that is what Aust post indicated.
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

If he wants cheaper postage he probably won't pay. Just let the unpaid dispute open and see what happens. What's the exact date and time of the sale? Opening the unpaid dispute might trigger him to pay, so keep everything crossed that it doesn't. Does the postage you quoted include tracking? He's just as likely to open an INR to recoup some of the costs.

Go and recheck all your blocks to make sure you have all the countries ticked you don't want to sell to in your postage preferences and make sure you have buyer requirement blocks set to not allow buyers to buy who are in a location you don't post to.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I had this same problem this week. Thought I had blocks in place as I do not want to sell internationally. I just cancelled the sale and nominated problems with the buyers address. Cancellation has gone through without any problems.
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Several thoughts here...

The listing was for Australia only (I checked).  Unless there's something I don't know about, they shouldn't have been able to buy.  The Russians and the Chinese are well known for getting round blocks by changing their primary address to one in Australia, buying the item, then quickly changing back to their normal overseas address and then requesting an invoice and insisting that you post it overseas to them.  This would mean that the sold email would have an Australian address on it, but the invoice would be for an overseas address.  Did the sold email have an overseas address or not?  

This happened to me once and the email had an Aussie address but I know of two others it's happened to and I'm not sure theirs did.  It's too long ago to ask them as I'm not in touch with them any more, but I know we were all selling rare items that were very popular with the Russians and Chinese at one stage.  There may be other ways for them to get around your blocks, but if you've got the proper blocks in place then getting around them is considered "unwelcome and malicious buying" and it's a policy violation.  If ebay issue them with a policy violation (yes, "if"), they automatically remove any associated feedback and defects (see further down).

See this page:  http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/buying-practices.html  for this:  Unwelcome and malicious buying: We consider bidding on or buying an item when you have no intention of completing the transaction, or circumventing a seller's buyer requirements, to be unwelcome and malicious buying. (I put the red colour to emphasise the relevant point.)

Then see this page:  http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html  It has nothing about the buyer being asked to confirm that they agree to a cancellation.  It just says that ebay lets them know you've cancelled (past tense), and that if they've already paid with paypal they're automatically refunded, and once they're refunded the cancellation is complete.

Has anyone reading this had a cancellation as a buyer recently, and have they had the opportunity to refuse the cancellation?  I think whoever said it's automatic now is right, but I could be wrong.  I've heard a few others on the boards say lately that it's changed.  You could wait until they pay and then cancel it as there being a problem with the buyer's address, which most likely won't earn you a defect.  I've read in the forums where that's been done before, but it's hearsay.

The page quoted above also says cancelled transactions earn a defect, but that's only true in some cases - and in some cases you can get it removed.  See this page for defect removal:  http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/defect-removal.html - specifically this bit :  

We automatically remove defects, adjust your late shipment rate and remove Feedback when:

• The buyer didn't pay for a purchase and an unpaid item case is recorded against the buyer. **

• The defect, Feedback or late shipment was the direct result of an eBay site issue or program error.  ***

• The delivery estimate shown in the listing was shortened, but tracking shows the item was delivered by the carrier's longest delivery estimate.

• We take action against a buyer for violating the Buying practices policy.  ****

• We instruct you to hold a shipment or take action to ...

Starting with **** - you can argue that they've violated the policy by getting around your blocks (as explained further up my post).  

If this doesn't work you could argue *** - that there must have a site issue for them to be able to buy from a listing that is set up for Australia only.  

If you decide to open an unpaid case rather than cancel you've got ** to argue, which most people don't seem to have any problems with, but there's always a chance they'll pay.    

A lot of this comes down to who you got at ebay if you did end up with a defect or bad feedback and had to try and get them to remove it, and whether or not they apply their own policies.  I'd say there's a fair chance that the buyer will eventually give up and go away, but I'd give them plenty of time to get fed up with you first and I wouldn't open a non-payment case until well after the four days.  

It's a pity you sent an invoice because with some overseas transactions they can't pay without an invoice.  I once exempted a US buyer so she could buy but I didn't set the listing up right and she couldn't pay when I did send the invoice because my other blocks were still in place.  A friend had the same happen and she figured it all out but I've forgotten it now.  Anyway, you've sent the invoice now.  

If they did pay and you posted it, it's often hard (if not impossible) to get tracking to show once the item leaves Australia (even though you pay for tracking) and you'd be at high risk of losing a not received case, or worse still, they could open a not as described case and ebay would just refund them the lot if you didn't pay for them to return it.  There's a lot of risk of you being out of pocket if you send it and they may pay simply because they know there's a good chance they can get all their money back later on, and get to keep the item.  Even if they pay and don't try and get their money back if you send it, you could still get negative feedback.  

I personally would cancel because I feel the risks all round are lower, but it's your call, not mine.  If you cancel and the buyer is able to refuse it, if you don't get your fees back it's only 99c, which is less than what you'll pay in extra postage and paypal fees if you do send it overseas.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply