A post for those of us who, actually, don't care about the fee changes.

Well maybe not 'don't care' but at least aren't whining and leaving ebay.

Before anyone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about because I have a low feedback score, I used to sell on a different account, and recently returned to ebay after a break.

Lets look at the facts here

Ebay changes 10% fees on sales. 10% is not an absurd number. I would think most people would be happy to get 90% of an assisted sale. If I went to a consignment shop I might get 50%, and ebay is providing a similar service to a much larger audience. I'd get 100% if I set up my own store or sold at the markets but then there is a lot more work, and perhaps more cost, involved in those options too.

Don't like it? Then go to one of the other websites for auctions. Oh, wait, is no one buying from you on those websites? Exactly the point. You are paying ebay, essentially, for advertising. You are paying for access to a HUGE customer base and trusted brandname which gives trust in your product (i.e. the feedback system and the knowledge ebay tries to keep scammers off).  I for one am happy to pay 10% to have a readymade store, customer base, and advertising. And it isn't even risky advertising, you only pay to advertise what you actually sell. Show me another company or group which will let me advertise and only pay for the successful ones!

And frankly, this system is 10 times better than the old system for us small sellers, despite the small sellers being the ones whining. I sold on a different account way back when I had to pay an insertion fee on every item, even though my product (clothing) is the sort of thing which does not sell quick and I might have sold a 1/4 of my listings the first time around. Those insertion fees hurt. And people keep saying this new system makes low value items impossible to sell with profit? I would put forward that the old system was far, far more unfriendly to low value items because insertion fees could be a huge chunk of the profits for sub $10 items, and then there was still FVF on top of that.

I love the new system. With a bit of care, these days, with relistings and free listing promotions I never have to pay insertion fees, ever. I can list items and let them sit until sold, which for my stock, clothes and books, is exactly what I need.

Now, postage is the other big whinging point.

Fact is, many sellers have been paying fees on postage ever since the free postage system came in because it was impossible to seperate postage from the sale price. This was unfair to them. This extra fee was a big deterent to using free postage which, like it or not, is something ebay wants to happen and is something which isn't going away. They had to remove the deterent somehow. By charging the same fee to reveryone, those already using the system are unaffected and those not using it might switch, or at least are on even footing with the rest.

If you don't like paying a 10% fee to have access to what is essentually a huge online consignment store then go to another website and see how much your profits soar when you aren't paying that 10% fee, or do the math on how the old insertion fee system used to work (better for some, worse for others). Work the postage fee into your selling price like those using free postage have done for years. And stop whinging that you can't get something for nothing and you have to actually pay to have access to what ebay has built.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

The top one in the attachment  is for 'THEM' - those who are not impacted (greatly) by FVF on postage.

The second one is 'ME' - the 'whinger/complainer', who is greatly affected.  That's a $53.00 postage cost box of goodies to go to Q'ld. Of which $5.25 would go to eBay.

Assume the value of the goods in the envelope were the same as the value of the goods in the box, and assume both have outlayed the same $amount to acquire,  The seller of the envelope is potentially paying eBay only $0.48c ($1.40 stamp + $3.50 for Reg/SOD) against my $5.25.  How could that be (to quote Chameleon) 'a fair and equitable system'.

And Chameleon, it is around 11.25% you would have to add to actually break even with eBay's FVF on postage.  But we also shouldn't forget the more that is added on the eBay invoice side of things, the more PayPal take as well.

Buyers are also pretty savvy these days on postage, and if they suddenly get an invoice with inflated postage, just watch the DSR's go down.  Plus if a buyer has asked for a postage cost pre committment to buy,  the sale will disappear into the ether.

Apologies Op, for ruining the title of the thread, but there are very, very many sellers that DO care about the fee changes.

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

There was supposed to be an attachment, but it has disappeared, but even without it I'm sure you will get the gist of where I was coming from.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

prog1607,  it appears you are a first time poster, so welcome to the boards. I agree with you that ebay has got a lot going for it ( including a huge customer base ) which is why I am still selling here. Unfortunately the current management has made a number of changes recently which have made the system less efficient and seller friendly. If enough people express concerns about these changes through enough venues the management will hopefully hear of our concerns and take them into consideration. I believe this is already happening to an extent in light of the messages and phone calls many sellers have been recieving from ebay CS based in USA to discuss the FVF on postage decision and its effect on sellers including International sellers.  Hope to see you back here again soon.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

I was happy to see this comment as it mirrored my feelings.  I'm just a small seller, and before eBay,  worked outdoor markets, and also had a short and unhappy experience running my own shop.  The markets, five days a week in the hot sun of Hawaii, were very hard work.  All product had to be brought in and set up early each morning and packed up and removed in the late afternoon. The tent and tables as well.  I tell ya, a 10 percent eBay fee is much, much less than paying market or shop rents and all the other costs associated with running an offline business.  Thank you eBay.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

I think selling on ebay is good. The 10% on postage is the thing I don't like. It's hard enough trying to keep the postage down when Aust. Post keeps putting the price up. Now with ebay wanting their cut - up they go again. I'm sure it's just because paypal charge on postage, but their cost only works out at 3.7% a lot better than 10%. I wish ebay would charge a lower % on the postage so we could make it cheaper for buyers.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

oh well said .. I have tried to explain this before .. ebay is a business not a charity .. I am with you & happy with my fee's & my small monthly wage (pin money)

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply