AP tracking on DL and C4 envelopes survey

Anyone else get the survey asking if you would use AP DL and C5 envelopes with tracking?

From memory it was $2.20 for the DL and $5.50 for the C4 but it didnt say if that was post included or on top of postage.

If thats with postage then it could be good !

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I stocked up on C5s before one of their price rises. I've only got about 140 left out of 600+. I didn't used to use many C4s at all but I decided to buy a pack of 50 (prepaids) and went through them in no time. Most of what I hand over the counter is prepaid (I have to ask for my mail at the counter so I never use the box) and the postmaster has got to like it and has trained a few others to use prepaids too.
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

That's why I don't think the new 'service' is so flash. Most of my letter size books go in a C5, of which I buy prepaids in 'bulk' (or at least 10 packs). I rarely use C4s so they aren't much use to me. If a book seller was selling mainly full size TPBs that might be different, but I certainly don't.

Most people would be looking at it from the tracked letter vs a parcel or registered letter perspective. The pre-paid tracked ones include $100 insurance as well. That's what the appeal was for me, ultimately. A registered letter is as much as $9.20, has the tracking and insurance plus SOD (which just annoys a lot of customers), so the pre-paid tracked and insured only is half the price.

A 500g parcel with $100 insurance is as much as $10.30, so the envelope is less than half the price of that.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I don't compare them to registered post but to the normal ones without tracking. If I want to register I use the prepaids that cost less than $6.50. I had a roll of rego stickers but sold them on ebay for what they cost me (during a no-fees promo) and have used the prepaids ever since.
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I don't compare them to registered post but to the normal ones without tracking. If I want to register I use the prepaids that cost less than $6.50. I had a roll of rego stickers but sold them on ebay for what they cost me (during a no-fees promo) and have used the prepaids ever since.

Yeah, but the new pre-paids have no benefit vs untracked / unregistered if tracking isn't actually what you want or need from the service, so there's not a lot of point in comparing them to that when deciding if they'll be of use to someone.

The selling point here is tracking and proof of postage on a letter, plus insurance, without forcing SOD, at a lower price. Without eBay's discount, the bulk price on the new ones (C4), is $4.82 (and a half) per envelope, while the pre-paid registered ones are $6.21 and the only difference is SOD. If you want / need SOD, then the $1.39 extra is worth it, of course. 

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Oh, I agree with you. I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote what I did. A lot depends on what you sell and how many people try it on, or how many genuinely go missing, which varies between sellers.

I use a few C4's but not a real lot. I think I paid $3.92 for my last lot (a batch of 50) so I decided it wasn't really worth me paying an extra dollar to get tracking and insurance that I personally don't really need. I decided to keep the money I save on those ones to put into the self-insurance kitty. There may come a day when I decide it's definitely worth paying the extra!
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Wishing that C5's were available.

Am using the DL and loving them, gives us that little bit of extra security and strong, now just need the C5's and all would be right with the world.................

Ooops Oh No, sorry forgot about a few thousand other things that need fixing between, AP,Ebay,PayPal, Etsy.

Oh well as they say "small steps".

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I'd imagine that if the current two sizes are a success (with AP as well as with consumers) that they'll probably make them available in more sizes. If they're making money out of them it'd make sense, but whether they make money depends on how much time they spend on scanning them.
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply