ATO Request for Data

This is the first time we have received one of these since we have been trading on eBay.

Anyone else?

ATO Data

Message 1 of 142
Latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Re: ATO Request for Data

And thats the funny part,

Ebay has our sales in US$,

Cant get the data out of ebay, n then they want us to pay, n even then dont have it. What r they giving to the ATO?

Have to go to Paypal to get most of the data.

Latest Paypal updates now have the figures, shown less paypal fees.

However as mentioned activity statements r the go, so will check these next.

once I can log back into Paypal that is....been having troubles last 2 days.

Message 91 of 142
Latest reply

Further to add,

Yes the selling manager pro gives u up to 3 months history in usable AU figures, tries to show more but mentions u need to update it as it doesnt do it. Yet it has the last 3 months no probs.

Go to ur sold listings, can only show last 3 months,

Go to ur purchasing history n went back 2 years...........

I dont have the sales reports subscribed, says $7 a month n only works from subscribe day onwards.

Message 92 of 142
Latest reply

But yes thanx to all, The invoices give u the needed data...Cheers.
Message 93 of 142
Latest reply

Just a quick update 

Went to Selling Manger Pro to Archived Reports and low and behold..there is all was!!!

Sales Reports for the last 2 years... 

Unfortauntely my call for help to CS was a waste of time, the CS officer had no idea re this function and knew I had a Store..Selling Manger Pro is part of this Package!

Hope this helps anyone else in my situation

Message 94 of 142
Latest reply

I spoke to Ebay CS about this email. 

I was advised to forward it to spoof@ebay.com.au

I have had confirmation from Ebay this morning that the email IS spoof. If it did not come to your messages within your ebay account AS WELL AS your email address then it has NOT come from Ebay. 

Message 95 of 142
Latest reply

@grandmas_house wrote:

I spoke to Ebay CS about this email. 

I was advised to forward it to spoof@ebay.com.au

I have had confirmation from Ebay this morning that the email IS spoof. If it did not come to your messages within your ebay account AS WELL AS your email address then it has NOT come from Ebay. 

This is the same scenario as last year.  Some members were told the email was a spoof, some were told it was legitimate.  At one stage an ebay staff member came to the boards to confirm that it was from them but still some members refused to accept it.

Whatever way you look at it and whoever you believe, you ignore it at your peril.

The ATO has been asking for this information for a number of years, usually round this time of the year.  That fact can be checked with the ATO if you are so inclined.

As the email does not ask you to do anything or to enter any information, does it really matter who sent it to you....the information contained is correct.  Believe it or not, it is not doing you any harm so why sweat it.

Message 96 of 142
Latest reply

I am not "sweating it" nor am I ignoring anything. 

I am advising readers of this board that I have been told that the email was NOT sent by EBay as it does not appear in anyone's message box, simply their email address. 

I am aware that they are not asking me to provide any information but it implies that they are asking Ebay questions such as my IP address???? Why would the ATO need my IP address?

I am aware of the ATO requirements and my obligations. I am simply advising readers of this board the information I have been given by Ebay.

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum

Message 97 of 142
Latest reply

Since when is anyone requested to provide serious private info over the internet via email? did not get this email as per usual via ebay message portal..some pretty private info being demanded here..banks dont do it..yes compliance is an important issue..but this isnt anywhere near a formal or proper request for info..very skeptical here

Message 98 of 142
Latest reply

The email is not asking you to provide any information at all. 

It states what information the ATO is asking for and what ebay will be providing.

There is no mention of the informtion being provided via email.

Whether you believe the email is a fake or not, it is well known that the ATO has been collecting the information from ebay for a number of years.

Message 99 of 142
Latest reply

@grandmas_house wrote:

I am not "sweating it" nor am I ignoring anything. 

I am advising readers of this board that I have been told that the email was NOT sent by EBay as it does not appear in anyone's message box, simply their email address. 

I am aware that they are not asking me to provide any information but it implies that they are asking Ebay questions such as my IP address???? Why would the ATO need my IP address?

I am aware of the ATO requirements and my obligations. I am simply advising readers of this board the information I have been given by Ebay.

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum

The reason the ATO require ebay to pass on your ID and IP address is because they believe there are some sellers who have multiple selling IDs, with each one turning over thousands of dollars. If they match the total sales from all id,s listed under the one IP address, they can identify people trying to avoid registering businesses and paying tax by splitting sales over several ID,s. The social security departments can also use the information to identify people who are claiming benefits while running large ebay businesses. ( it wont affect the small fry selling less than $10,000 PA. )

All of this is nothing new. Ebay have been required to report larger sellers details to the ATO for a number of years. The only thing that has changed is that the figure for reporting has been reduced. The figure for reporting has been getting lower and lower over the past seven or eight years so this is nothing new either. ( I think from memory it originally started at $70,000 many years ago, then $40,000, $20,000 and now $10,000 )

My guess is that with the advances in computer data matching and our increasing use of cashless financial transactions, all government institutions will share data to build a complete picture of our financial affairs. This will then be used to ascertain eligability and calculate variable social security payments and ensure we all pay our required fair share of tax etc. While it is all a bit "big brother" I actually think it could be a good thing as it will ensure everyone recieves exactly what they are eligable for in social security payments, while income earners all contribute exactly what they should to societies total tax take. ( and yes I realise the BIG BOYS will still be dodging and diving to escape their tax obligations, but thats a topic for another thread )  It could be a much fairer system for everybody if it works well.

Message 100 of 142
Latest reply