Abusive buyer misuse of returns - unbelievable distress as a seller

Recently I asked ebay to help me because a buyer chopped the back off a platinum diamond ruby and sapphire pin to wear as a pendant - the wrote in messages they did this

Then...next day they started a return stating it was broken or damaged

i had documentation from an independant appraiser it was in good condition from an independent party I was never asked to provide this document..

I accepted the return

I reached out to ebay because this item was damaged...and changed....I don't know how to cover these losses as a seller there is no shop on the planet that allows buyers to alter items then forces sellers to accept back an item that may never be sold again and/or is damaged

By reaching out and asking for help I have now been told I will not get my final value fee credit back...I am being charged for asking for help

I NEVER ESCALATED THIS TO A CLAIM I JUST ASKED FOR HELP UNDER DURESS

I tried to discuss with the high value team but feel I have no rights

I feel frightened to start this conversation on ebay  and feel I will be persecuted further for it but I am terribly distressed at the treatment I have had

Message 1 of 95
Latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Stick to the initial facts.

The buyer admitted to ' chopping ' a part of the item - in writing??

Why did you agree to a return - why did didn't you wait for a case to be opened - then supply all necessary information.??

Message 2 of 95
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

OMG.    Such high priced items.

Why did you agree to a return when your listings say No returns accepted?

Message 3 of 95
Latest reply

Yes they admitted IN WRITING

The return was automatic I had no choice

Message 4 of 95
Latest reply

the return was automatically accepted by ebay

your policies are one thing

ebay policies over rule your shop policies

Message 5 of 95
Latest reply

So - what you are saying is - you agreed to a return - even having stated ' no returns '.

And eBay of course ' accepted this '.

Message 6 of 95
Latest reply

THE BUYER STATED IN WRITING " I ALREADY CHOPPED IT TO WEAR AS A PENDANT"

Correct they admitted to the alteration

I cannot as a seller refuse returns on ebay - nobody can if a buyer states it is not as described the return is automatic and you have to comply now

I can have shop policies which state 3 day returns and do that because they are valuable items and 30 day returns allow customers to wear items and send them back and it has happened so many times that items are worn to a special event and sent back damaged this occurs mostly at xmas and new years so my returns state...just contact me any reason within 3 days of receipt

Message 7 of 95
Latest reply

no

not at all

I have no choice as a seller -ebay force a return and you have no chance to provide documentation stating your case..the buyer is god on this site and sellers must comply now

the return as soon as I looked at it was accepted not by me...but under new policies because the buyer said "this item is damaged"

I had no opportunity at any point to provide documentation from my side

when I asked for help and reported this I was told I would not receive my final value fee back

Message 8 of 95
Latest reply

the final value fee here is many hundreds of dollars and by asking for help I am denied a refund of that fee

I had to ask for help because the returns were misused here after an item was altered

It was stated in messaging it was altered by the buyer

BUT the buyer failed to say that in the return

Message 9 of 95
Latest reply

Then - in a listing where you are able to state - ' No Returns - are you obliged to accept a return.

Message 10 of 95
Latest reply