Address change from one country to another

I don’t know whether to be concerned or not. Advice appreciated.

Customer is registered in US and has just two prior eBay purchases since 2017. Good feedback on those. Ship to address on eBay and PayPal is to America, which is where I initially sent the item, but have since been in touch with the DC to try and intercept it, because customer sent 1st mail saying, ‘Please hold, I’ve changed my address.’ 15 minutes or so later I receive the 2nd mail with a new send to address, which is in China.

I’m fairly confident we’ll intercept it.

It all seems above board, but nearly $400 worth of item involved here.

Any ramifications I should be aware of please?

Many thanks,

Melina.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

My concern is the accounts are hijacked and paid with a stolen credit card or the like.

Many scams out of China and growing as more n more discover how to get quick cash over the net.

Of course it could just be genuine.

Whats your plan ?

When you receive it back, refund then ask buyer to repay changing address in checkout ?

Personally I would probably have sent back an immediate message saying, sorry but already sent.

I'm sure they could have arranged something from an address they haven't been away from for long.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

It sounds very sus to me.

Either way, as long as you have tracking and it is sent to the address they purchased with and the tracking shows delivered or attempted delivery, both ebay/PP will side with you 100% on INR case. You don't have to refund them anything. Although I usually refund the cost of the goods, but not the postage and any ebay/PP fees, if I receive the item back.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Interesting that I was only reading up on this sort of thing today.  I'm pretty sure it was under the hijacked account section.  It was in one of the links that showed under the google search Padi posted in one of the threads.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks very much for your help.

it looks like the decision has been made for me with a callback late this afternoon saying it’s too late to intercept. And, I’ve not had response from the buyer (it is paid for) after my last two emails. Somethings not right, is it?

thanks.

Melina.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

If you have tracking, you are 100% covered by PP. I have had 2 PP account hacking claims through PP and in both cases PP refunded the buyer and let me keep the money.

It's ebay you need to worry about. You better hope that there will be either a delivery or attempted delivery entry in your tracking, and soon!

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Gawd! The twists and turns.

Firstly, I’m receiving no response from the buyer now. Completely unresponsive. And, the wonderful, helpful people at my local have, against all odds, located the package. It can be retrieved.

Now, what to do?

In my limited experience, It all definitely has an odd feel to it. Would I be best served contacting eBay on suspicion of a hijacked account? Will I get the support and direction (and safety) I need?

Melina.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

If you can get the parcel back, that is fabulous! Once you have it back, I'd be refunding the "buyer" the item amount only. No postage. I would then probably contact eBay and tell them suspect someone's account has been hijacked. I'm not sure I'd try contacting the "buyer" again. Getting your item back is the main thing here. 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you only refund the amount of the item you'll lose your fees, unless you deduct that from their refund as well. The only way to get your fees back would be to cancel the transaction but that'd mean they automatically get refunded the postage amount.

If they did a claim they might get the postage back as well as the rest so it might be worth thinking about whether you're prepared to lose some of your costs. If your postage cost less than the fees you might be best to cancel the transaction citing problem with buyer's address.

Maybe there's a way to recoup everything but I don't know how. You may have to just settle for the 'best case' and be thankful that you didn't lose the lot.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Melina can do a part refund, items less postage and eBay/PayPal fees.

If they are a genuine buyer then they can re-pay less deducted fees with postage to China.

image host
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply