Advice for a newbie please

I am a relative newbie at selling on EBay.  I have started out just by listing stuff I or my kids don't want anymore. I have watched lots of YouTube videos about selling on Ebay. I have spent soooo much time on getting good photos with white backgrounds etc (the Ebay background remover isn't that helpful). I have tried to do SEO & done heaps of research for pricing my items. I have sold a couple of items over the last several months but most of my stuff isn't even getting any views. What am I doing wrong? 

With regards to white backgrounds, I have noticed a lot of product photos in Ebay stores don't use white backgrounds at all, so a bit confused about that advice.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Advice for a newbie please

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

This is from a different thread but I just saw it and feel it may be relevant to you.

I'm still keeping one store stocked up pretty well and ticking over. What I have noticed is that ebay is really hitting accounts that dont have a lot of activity. ( more than in the past ) If you are not constantly listing, revising and selling, your items drop completely from searches pretty quickly at the moment. 

The economy is definately affecting sales, but there is still buyers out there for the right stuff.

Really you are quoting an unattributed source,  for information they have put on a forum,  thats really not a valid comment.

True, it is from a forum member and is anecdotal. But it is from a fairly long term, big seller so at least worth considering.

Most comments on this forum are personal opinions or about personal experiences. Most could not quote the exact research figures overall.

For example, curraone wrote about postage costs:

I know you're allowed to add a little extra for packing etc, but in my experience buyers get quite narky if too much is added on.  

That's anecdotal too but I'd say it is spot on.

You are happy to quote curraone,   why the mystery on the other quote,  

Message 31 of 42
Latest reply

It's a real shame that when you come on here asking for help, there's always someone that has to be unkind. Maybe they don't realise they are coming across this way, but regardless, so unnecessary.

Message 32 of 42
Latest reply

@roaminghigh wrote:

It's a real shame that when you come on here asking for help, there's always someone that has to be unkind. Maybe they don't realise they are coming across this way, but regardless, so unnecessary.

LOL.  Other forum members can only try to give advise,  if the OP doesnt want to listen to it,  it's not really a fact of being unkind,  just a fact that we can only try.  In this case OP even admits their prices are to high,  what else can we do.

Message 33 of 42
Latest reply

Yes unfortunately, they are out there. It is very disappointing, especially when they feel the need to have a go at others who have commented. 

I am very very grateful for all of the others who have replied kindly without insulting me. 

Message 34 of 42
Latest reply

Oh my goodness, you can't help yourself. Who said I am not listening ?! I have already amended a lot of my prices & postage. You need to get down off your high horse & pull your head in. At least YOU think you're really great & such an expert that you have to dis others on here. That is just disgusting.

Message 35 of 42
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@roaminghigh wrote:

LOL.  Other forum members can only try to give advise,  if the OP doesnt want to listen to it,  it's not really a fact of being unkind,  just a fact that we can only try.  In this case OP even admits their prices are to high,  what else can we do.

Sugar - this is really ' peeing ' me off - would you please use ' advice '. LOL

Message 36 of 42
Latest reply

OK - just love the Jadore??

But what size is it - on their scale.??

Every make - has a different sizing.

I think with clothing - the actual measurements should be clearly shown - not just ' size '.

Length - shoulder to hem - - underarm - does it stretch - etc etc.

Describe your item.

Message 37 of 42
Latest reply

Yes I have realised that. I am on it. I have quite a few things that need fixing. Thanks.

Message 38 of 42
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

This is from a different thread but I just saw it and feel it may be relevant to you.

I'm still keeping one store stocked up pretty well and ticking over. What I have noticed is that ebay is really hitting accounts that dont have a lot of activity. ( more than in the past ) If you are not constantly listing, revising and selling, your items drop completely from searches pretty quickly at the moment. 

The economy is definately affecting sales, but there is still buyers out there for the right stuff.

Really you are quoting an unattributed source,  for information they have put on a forum,  thats really not a valid comment.

True, it is from a forum member and is anecdotal. But it is from a fairly long term, big seller so at least worth considering.

Most comments on this forum are personal opinions or about personal experiences. Most could not quote the exact research figures overall.

For example, curraone wrote about postage costs:

I know you're allowed to add a little extra for packing etc, but in my experience buyers get quite narky if too much is added on.  

That's anecdotal too but I'd say it is spot on.

You are happy to quote curraone,   why the mystery on the other quote,  

No mystery. It was chameleon on another thread. I didn't mention it initially as I didn't think it was relevant to geeky meeks as she is new on the forum so names wouldn't mean a thing to her.  Plus as far as I have seen, chameleon isn't even in this thread.

The quote wasn't about chameleon as such, my main point with the quote is it was obvious that the person writing it  is a regular seller with several accounts and someone who has cleared a lot of stock so he probably knows what he is talking about.

I have seen other people say very similar things over the years-that the visibility of their items seemed to change from time to time. I can't quote exact names as I forget who they are now, but there have been several people.

But regardless of who said what, the main question is-is it true? Are the items from occasional, small volume sellers likely to be less visible than the items from big volume sellers?

That's what I was trying to toss into the mix, as geeky meeks is wondering not only why her sales are few & far between but why she isn't even getting any views.

Message 39 of 42
Latest reply

I don't use promoted listings so it will likely vary for those that do. But I have always found when I get back into regular listing my sales increase within a few weeks to what they where before. It will be different on so many levels trying to compare each seller as everyone sells different things though.

New listings will help with sales but they do not account for the majority of my sales as it is the older items that tend to start moving again. So as you can see this won't help a new seller as they won't have the listing numbers needed to keep sales regular.

Most new sellers tend to sell items from around the home and as such get a burst of sales until all the popular and well priced items have sold and then everything stops. 

Message 40 of 42
Latest reply