An example why you need to have blocks in place.

So I have a buyer who over the course of 4 days has used 10 different brand new IDs to buy one of my dresses.  All failed because I have the block in place for IDs with less that 5 feedback that aren't verified.  

On day 5 she strikes gold and finds an ID that gets through the blocks.  She REALLY wanted that dress.

Guess what, two days later she hasn't paid!  What a surprise.  

I know it's the same person because of the combination of letters used in ALL the IDs (and they all go for the same dress), and the timing of the attempted purchases.

So yes, I should have put at least one of the blocked IDs on my BBL which would block future purchases on any other IDs, thereby avoiding this scenario - silly me.

Anyone want to take bets on whether I will able to actually post the dress??  Anyone???  LOL

Learn from me people.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: An example why you need to have blocks in place.

She'll pay on Thursday, payday. Smiley Wink

Otherwise looks like another unpaid item case to be opened.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

How really odd.  Why would you block a person that has less than 5 feedback?  Perhaps the buyer doesn't quite understand all the ins and outs of ebay and maybe you have introduced them to a life of hell with nit picky sellers.

Why not introduce yourself to the buyer and explain that she needs a paypal account and how to meet your expectations.

Joono
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

poppy has blocks of less then 5 that are not phone verified.

I also have blocks set similarly. Anyone wishing to bid and are serious can simply get phone verified.

It weeds out those setting up new accounts to cause trouble. (retaliation) And scammers.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

So I have a buyer who over the course of 4 days has used 10 different brand new IDs to buy one of my dresses.  All failed because I have the block in place for IDs with less that 5 feedback that aren't verified.  

This doesn't block them if they have a paypal account if you read the fine print.here is what it says.
Buyer Requirements

Please note that even though you may select to block a particular type of buyer, some exceptions apply: 

• Buyers who haven't gone through phone verification. If buyers have registered with PayPal or have a credit card on file, they'll still be able to bid on or buy your items.
eBay wants to make sure that buyers meet your criteria. However, if your buyers meet an equivalent requirement (have a PayPal account, credit card on file, etc.), we will not block them from doing business with you.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

On day 5 she strikes gold and finds an ID that gets through the blocks.  She REALLY wanted that dress.

Guess what, two days later she hasn't paid!  What a surprise.  

I know it's the same person because of the combination of letters used in ALL the IDs (and they all go for the same dress), and the timing of the attempted purchases.

So yes, I should have put at least one of the blocked IDs on my BBL which would block future purchases on any other IDs, thereby avoiding this scenario - silly me.

Anyone want to take bets on whether I will able to actually post the dress??  Anyone???  LOL

Learn from me people.

Blocked Bidder lists do not work like that , other id's could still bid/buy if they fit the criteria , but if you can prove a link between the different id's and the blocked one , Then that is reportable as malicious bidding or circumventing a sellers blocks and you can have the deal cancelled by eBay , 

I just had to go through it all on one of my other selling id's after a rather rude potential buyer started bombarding me with some really inane questions like "how long will it take to get to me?" , but wouldn't tell me where he was at first til i tried to explain how oz post are so slow these days ,  😕  , then he thinly threatened me if i didn't give free express post ,, so i blocked him ,

5 minutes later another id bought the item , guess what? same area , rang eBay , they cancelled the transaction .

No defect for me but a strike against him .

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Keyrings - you're probably right.  If I'd had one of the IDs (or all) on my BBL I could have got the sale cancelled by ebay early on and had it relisted by now.

It gets better - they've made other purchases since and paid for at least one as they've received feedback.  So I still don't think there is any intention to pay mine.

99% of the non-payers are from brand new accounts in my experience.  That's why I have block for non-verified new accounts.

I don't usually moan like this - appreciate non-payers are a fact of life on ebay.  I just thought the persistance of this one was a bit interesting.

Blockety block block block

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

the thing is whether you block someone via the BBL or the preferences it should be your chioice. ebay should not be able to override the preferences if they have a paypal account and once you block one ID they all should be blocked.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

HBH, They are blocked if on BBL but when it's phone verified block only, the PayPal account or a credit card will override that block as they are verified via PayPal or the credit card.

In other words that block is designed to stop anyone quickly setting up an account and causing trouble or scams. But if there is a PayPal or credit card linked, the account has been verified and that block doesn't come into play anyway.

So in essence the block is still working, just not for verified accounts which is how it is supposed to work.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

kopes they are not blocked if they keep opening new IDs. And all ebay tell you is to treat it as a normal buyer even though they have intentionally opened a new ID for the sole purpose of buying.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply