Another "late shipment" defect.

Now have 12. 

The latest from an order bought and paid for on the 19 Feb.

I sent and lodged over the counter on the 20th....

Auspost plainly delivered outside their estimated time and report me to ebay as though it's MY problem.

What a freaking joke both of them are!

zzcpt.JPG

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

The solution, if you only use parcels, is to get a LODGEMENT SCAN within your handlintg time.

End of.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

It would seem that the only way to avoid late delivery defects would be for sellers to choose the 30 day handling time option (with an explanatory note in your listing that you will, in fact, post within a day- or whatever you real handling time is).

If enough sellers were to adopt it eBay MIGHT realise how ridiculous this has become.

Ebay want everyone to post 'yesterday' but this system has caused most sellers to dramatically extene their handling times.(myself included).

For years I've had 1 day handliing with no problems. Now I've extended to 3 days and will probably push it out to 5 days if the late shipment defects keep rolling in.

That would definately cost you sales and few people in many catagories take much notice of descriptions. Collectibles may be different due to unique item nature.

Ebay want us to provide start to finish tracking, that is their aim. If you can reliably get to PO for a lodgement scan it is the obvious answer, to those who can't then the best you can do is minimize your risk but not eliminate it.

As more are forced into getting lodgement scan, the more buyers will expect it, and hence hassle those that dont. Ebay want to get rid of the days were buyers pay then hope it turns up, sometime, or not. Buyers want to know for sure their item is on its way..Problem is this principle is not easily achievable until lodgement scan can be obtained after hours. Or at least a way posties could easily scan in bulk as they empty box. Technology is not there yet. 

As it is, many not only will extend handling time but most likely as a result will use their time to go to PO couple of times a week to make sure rather than just box lodge and hope. who can be bothered going to PO everyday if you have extended your handling time?Ultimately buyers will get slower deliveries as covering your butt gets priority.

eg. handling time 5 days and go to PO once a week/3 days handling and go twice a week. If you box lodge you only need one collection bag to get delayed somewhere and your whole batch would be at risk of defects in one swoop.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

typhoon, Australia Post don't report anything.  "Carrier reported" is just

@pennyforum14 wrote:

typhoon, Australia Post don't report anything.  "Carrier reported" is just eBay speak for tracking shows late delivery

How does eBay know the delivery time?

It is difficult for me to imagine that eBay physically checks the delivery dates, every day, on all of the parcels etc that have been posted with-in the tracking system of Aus Post.

The parcels that arrive at my address never arrive in the specified time ( apart from on one occassion). If tracking indicates to me that the posting of the article occurred during the handling time I tick all the stars because it is obvious where the fault lies. I have never had to mark any thing less than all the stars. I mention this because I think the marking down of the stars is how eBay generates: tracking shows late delivery, and the cause of the problem, is not entirely eBays. (please tell me if I'm wrong)

Surely buyers can tell by the tracking info when an article is posted and out of the control of the seller. If the posting has happened outside of the nominated handling time then. fair enough - mark the seller down.

Would it be fair to say, "The stars have told me of your late delivery" ?.   

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

@skyrider12-au wrote:

@pennyforum14 wrote:

typhoon, Australia Post don't report anything.  "Carrier reported" is just

@pennyforum14 wrote:

typhoon, Australia Post don't report anything.  "Carrier reported" is just eBay speak for tracking shows late delivery

How does eBay know the delivery time?

It is difficult for me to imagine that eBay physically checks the delivery dates, every day, on all of the parcels etc that have been posted with-in the tracking system of Aus Post.

The parcels that arrive at my address never arrive in the specified time ( apart from on one occassion). If tracking indicates to me that the posting of the article occurred during the handling time I tick all the stars because it is obvious where the fault lies. I have never had to mark any thing less than all the stars. I mention this because I think the marking down of the stars is how eBay generates: tracking shows late delivery, and the cause of the problem, is not entirely eBays. (please tell me if I'm wrong)

Surely buyers can tell by the tracking info when an article is posted and out of the control of the seller. If the posting has happened outside of the nominated handling time then. fair enough - mark the seller down.

Would it be fair to say, "The stars have told me of your late delivery" ?.   

With late shipment defects there are two reasons given - one is carrier says late delivery and the other one is buyer says late delivery.

With certain AP services the ebay system automatically links to the AP tracking site and once feedback is left by the buyer if tracking does not show that it was sent within the stated handling time or it was not delivered by the estimated delivery date a late shipping defect will apply which says - carrier says late delivery

If the buyer says they received the parcel outside the ebay estimated arrival time the defect shows as - buyer says late delivery.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

That would definately cost you sales and few people in many catagories take much notice of descriptions. Collectibles may be different due to unique item nature.

Ebay want us to provide start to finish tracking, that is their aim. If you can reliably get to PO for a lodgement scan it is the obvious answer, to those who can't then the best you can do is minimize your risk but not eliminate it.

As more are forced into getting lodgement scan, the more buyers will expect it, and hence hassle those that dont. Ebay want to get rid of the days were buyers pay then hope it turns up, sometime, or not. Buyers want to know for sure their item is on its way..Problem is this principle is not easily achievable until lodgement scan can be obtained after hours. Or at least a way posties could easily scan in bulk as they empty box. Technology is not there yet. 

As it is, many not only will extend handling time but most likely as a result will use their time to go to PO couple of times a week to make sure rather than just box lodge and hope. who can be bothered going to PO everyday if you have extended your handling time?Ultimately buyers will get slower deliveries as covering your butt gets priority.

eg. handling time 5 days and go to PO once a week/3 days handling and go twice a week. If you box lodge you only need one collection bag to get delayed somewhere and your whole batch would be at risk of defects in one swoop.

Me for starters. The whole idea of extended handling time was NOT to reduce trips to the PO from every day to once or twice a week. The whole idea was to continue to go every day, or as often as you were before. The whole idea is to fatten out the delivery estimate. That way, the buyer gets it before the estimate they have been shown and they are happy. This has been explained to you several times now. If you want to extend your time to 5 days and only post once a week, kind of defeats the purpose really.

A buyer buys something from me with a 5 day handling time and an ETA of March 25-30. They buy something from someone else on the same day, with a 1 day handling time, with an ETA of March 14-16. Both items are posted the same day. Both items arrive on March 20. In the buyers eyes, seller A (me) has got their item to them before the first date in the estimate, happy buyer. Seller B had it arrive late, unhappy buyer.

We all know that buyers assume the seller puts that estimate in, so who is the buyer going to go back to? A seller who delivers late, or one that delivers before the first estimate date?

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

who can be bothered going to PO everyday if you have extended your handling time?

Anyone with any common sense.  The whole point in extending handling time is to increase the gap between when you normally post and the ludicrous date that eBay gives for when the item should arrive.  If you don't continue to post as normal it defeats the purpose of the exercise.  It is always better to under-promise and over-deliver.  If you under -promise by increasing your handling time, and then cut your frequency of posting, you will no longer over-deliver, and you'll be back in the same boat.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

.  If you don't continue to post as normal it defeats the purpose of the exercise. 

For many it is not time or cost effective to go every day, whereas to drop in a street box it is, ie cant "continue to post as normal", as normal was in the box at the end of the street several times a day if required.. Hence like it not the attitude of i can go tommorrow instead will creep in. I like to post everyday out of performance satisfaction, when I extend my handling, which seems inevitable, I will not be running down to queue in post office, for what might be a single package, everyday, when I have a margin to allow it to go with tomorrows batch.

I guess what is peeing me off is I like to post straight away and this system is now not making it time, or cost, effective. I dont want to post slower but I cant see any alternative, just to make sure i am covered.

If sellers on the whole start increasing handling times, a fair number will eventually end up using that margin, that is human nature,  which trends contrary to what ebay ultimately want, fast shipping. To think that extending handling times is not going to cause a large percentages of sellers to actually use it is delusional. I ma talking about what the bulk of sellers do, not what individuals intend to do.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Of course if you extend handling, and then post later without lodgement scan that would indeed negate the whole purpose. It is not addressing the ludicrous estimates that I am getting at, it is the need for proof of lodgement.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply