Any suggestions with how to deal with this case?

I have been an eBay seller for for around 4 years and not encountered a situation like this, so not sure what to do.

I gave a refund to a customer through Customer Support to settle a case. Customer support told me that the case had been closed in my favour. However, a few days later I check my status and see that both these cases had been closed and defected even when I resolved them.

I contacted CS when I noticed and they removed the defects as they could see they were erroneous.

unfortunately, this messed with my seller fees and is set to continue until dec 1st - 3 months in total. So far I’ve lost over $100+. 
i have since contacted eBay and after many emails back and forth they have fully admitted their mistake and acknowledged that it has cost me, but are refusing to do anything to rectify it or stop it in the future.

I am at a dead end with this. Have any other community members had a similar problem, if so, did you get it sorted?

Thank you,

Daniel

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Any suggestions with how to deal with this case?

Hi,

to answer some questions.

The fees are a below standard penalty. The buyer returned 2 items so that was 2 defects.
The buyer claimed the items were damaged, after having them for 20 days, not making previous contact and opening the new & Sealed items. Because of this, I felt a partial refund was warranted. I proposed this to the buyer which they agreed to. However, I could not find where to issue a partial refund on my end so I contacted CS to do it on my behalf.

The initial case was back in August.

As the rep who issued the refund said that the case was closed in my favour and there were no additional fees, I’m not sure how it’s come to this.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Any suggestions with how to deal with this case?

I haven't experienced this, but some months back while going through statements I noticed a bunch of fee reversals.

Upon further investigation, I found eBay had erroneously marked my account as below standard or whatever, and been charging me the higher FVF, but later reversed all the fees (at least). This all seemed to fix itself, as I only picked up on what happened after it was all resolved. 

I can't say if fee reversals will happen in your case, because it's not actually defects that cause your account to fall below standard for this metric - if they were INAD cases, it's the fact that the cases were even opened in the first place, they don't look at how they were resolved. A buyer can mistakenly open a case against a seller, close it immediately, selecting the reason "opened by mistake" when they close, and eBay will still count it, no matter what.

That should tell you everything you need to know about this "nifty" little measuring stick. I complained to the ACCC about this entire system in their recent survey, not sure if it will do any good, though. 😕

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply