Anyone had a package come thru customs after 1 July that did not already have GST paid?

What is the actual process for under 1K items imported where the seller has not paid GST and it is considered a consumer purchase?

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Anyone had a package come thru customs after 1 July that did not already have GST paid?

The countess, as usual, puts a very succinct explanantion to this issue.

Customs will continue as normal and only get involved if imports are greater than $1000 and do not carry a declaration that gst has been remitted to the ATO.

If you go to the ATO website you can get the low-down on the new arrangements but, as with most govt websites, the info is lengthy, somewhat obscure and dificult to find.

In essence, any O/S business doing regular trade with Australia needs to register with the ATO and remit GST quarterly, as do Aus businesses.

This move is somewhat voluntary from my reading as O/S businesses are not subject to the ATO's jurisdiction so would be difficult to prosecute if they just opted out by ignoring the advice.

I couldn't find any info on how a non-compliant O/S business would be dealt with if they just thumbed their nose at the ATO.

Perhaps someone else here has picked up info on that?

Message 31 of 44
Latest reply

If you go to the ATO website you can get the low-down on the new arrangements but, as with most govt websites, the info is lengthy, somewhat obscure and dificult to find.

Actually, they have a page that's quite succinct and very easy to understand.  You find it via the link in the ebay buying section that deals with GST, but I suppose that's a bit too obvious.  I posted it in a thread a couple of weeks ago but I daresay a lot of people ignored it.

Message 32 of 44
Latest reply

Succinctness is my new lifestyle...

... until the next time that I just cannot resist posting a "scroller".

Message 33 of 44
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Succinctness is my new lifestyle...

... until the next time that I just cannot resist posting a "scroller".

I'll start the book on that.

5 days

Message 34 of 44
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I'll start the book on that.

5 days

I'll give it until COB wednesday.....................true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 35 of 44
Latest reply

Five days? Is there a prize if I can - somehow - God only knows how - desist in the interim?

Message 36 of 44
Latest reply

shame.gif

Message 37 of 44
Latest reply

Countess, you need a self imposed holiday until next week....then you cannot get into trouble.Smiley Tongue

Message 38 of 44
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

shame.gif

I should have said COB Tuesday Countess  :-

"I remember last year receiving a silly offer on one of the things I do professionally. (Not on eBay. I don't have an eBay selling/advertising presence.)

The person said something along the lines of having found someone who could do what I do for a little less than my lowest price, albeit that the other person's lower price was only available during the week and their expertise was considerably less than mine in several key aspects. He said he would be willing to choose me if I would lower my price to the other person's weekday price. The tone of the communication was probably not intended to be patronising, presumptuous and peremptory, but that was the impression it gave.

I replied with great sweetness that the tiers of service with commensurate fees are as stated; however, for people in financial need, I was always open to negotiating the fees. If it was a case of financial hardship, all he needed to do was inform me of this and ask for a fee reduction based on that, and I would be happy to give a discount on that basis.

I heard no more from him."

original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 39 of 44
Latest reply

That was short, Padi!

I could have gone into a wealth of detail, but I guillotined that post relentlessly.

Message 40 of 44
Latest reply