Are Sales being turned off and on by eBay ??

As we all know Sales have dropped dramatically for some, my sales have never been so bad, then all of a sudden two days ago I had a nice lot of sales again like it used to happen and I started to think finally they have fixed whatever was wrong, then they stopped again, I then realised that the sales equalled the cost of my shop payment which this morning has been taken out of those sales and not one sale since reaching the amount required, that is just two much of a coincidence and convenience, it just seems so weird 😳😖  And I could also be grabbing at straws, just trying to figure out what is going on 🙂

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Are Sales being turned off and on by eBay ??

My sales dropped last week but I send a large proportion to Victoria and with the lockdown some buyers would be more careful with what they spend their money on. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

.. yep that is what happens .. "cassinni search engine" and "best match defraud" .. is very unpopular for the plebs here .. but if you know how to game the best match defraud  system or are one of ebays preferred inner circle of sellers then it is wonderful .. and I have heard that approximately 70% of ebay buyers never re-sort their search results from the "best match default" .. we haven't had anything even approaching a level playfield to sell our stuff on ebay for the last 15 years .. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I built 4 separate businesses on ebay early this millennium .. ebay destroyed them all overnight with a raft of "buyer and seller experience improvements" policy changes in 2006 .. heaps of ebay sellers were bankrupted and hurt worse than I was .. the sell-through before and after according to my metrics was/is 70 X slower sales now than in 2000-2005 .. meaning that inventory that once took a month to turn over now takes 5 to 6 years .. what I am saying is that my sales metrics show that sales now compared to back then for us "throttled sellers" are selling about 1.5% compared to 2000 - 2005's 100% ..

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

You do need to adapt to how the system works. If you are going to sell in saturated markets make sure your listing will be at the top few otherwise just sell hard to find items with little competition. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

When sales drop off we go and test our listings by using an outside device and use the most popular search terms for our products.  This tells us whether we have fallen off the 'big fat algorithm' or if the 'economy' is at play.

Another test is comparing your sales against your competitors using the 'Sold' filter.

Make any wrong move with eBay and you go down that algorithm list.

At the other end of the scale, eBay is a discount store and if your prices are not the cheapest, buyers go elsewhere.  Everyone wants a bargain and everyone wants it yesterday.  Fortunately the latter has worked in favour of Australian based sellers through the pandemic as Chinese sellers struggled to deliver their goods timely.  Buyers slowly learned.

Last four weeks has been lean across our sales.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

My sales were absolutely dire back in April, but it has always been a terrible month for me. I began working extended hours late that month in order to turn things around for May, and thankfully it's paid off and I had record sales for that month.

Some strategies I've found that work for me:

* End any old listings and relist - even some slight adjustments to your title or description can make a difference. 

* Make sure all relevant item specifics are filled out, even if they aren't required for that item because eBay seems to be really encouraging buyers to use them and therefore it pays to have them.

* Sometimes new photos for an item works wonders, even if you think there is nothing wrong with the current ones. Keeps the listing fresh and there may be something about your photos buyers aren't connecting with.

* Send offers to watchers of anything that isn't moving - even if it's just a few dollars off, I've made quite a few sales from doing this lately and then they also go and buy other items in my store.

It's a REALLY strange time (generally, due to COVID-19, but this extends to everything, including online commerce). There is a lot of uncertainty and I've become accustomed over the past year to my sales fluctuating.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

My sales went up after I left eBay.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

My sales went up after I left eBay

Which relates to eBay sales, how?

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply