Are returns/refunds always compulsory?

Hi, wondering if there any discretion in return requests depending on circumstances OR does ebay always support buyer if the case is escalated? 

The details of the case are:

Item is a glass jug and 4 glasses

Item was double boxed and posted, on receipt the buyer left postive feedback (great package)

15 days later, a return request was opened 

Buyer claims the jug is cracked where the handle is joined and 2 glasses are damaged, 1 with a fleabite chip to the rim, the other with a small crack to base 

The jug isn't damaged, its the join where the glass handle is applied (its a line, where the glass surfaces are joined, I have another one here, it's identical - and all the jugs made by this company have the same join marks around the handle it just varies individually how the join marks display)

The glasses were not damaged prior to postage, I assume with the positive feedback they were ok on arrival 

I have offered a partial refund for 2 glasses, or to send 2 replacement glasses, or even to send 2 replacement glasses and the jug I have here 

Buyer has rejected this and wants a 75% refund of the item plus postage and to keep the item, or for the item to be returned for full refund 

Is this a case of ebay automatically refunding buyer even though the jug actually isnt damaged, and it was 15 days after arrival a claim was lodged meaning this damage could have happened to the glasses through use in the meantime?

So should I suck it up and accept the return (including postage both ways which will be $40 out of pocket for me) or just let them escalate it and see if ebay considers all information and may not find in their favour? 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are returns/refunds always compulsory?

Accept the return & provide a label.

Unless you would like eBay to refund on your behalf & perhaps allow the buyer to keep the item & then earn a seller defect.

eBay will find in the buyer's favour.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Accept the return & provide a label.

Unless you would like eBay to refund on your behalf & perhaps allow the buyer to keep the item & then earn a seller defect.

eBay will find in the buyer's favour.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

go to my post, THE SELLER HAS NO RIGHTS & you'll get your answers. 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Nah... think I'll pass.

Not sure if someone who is unable to read the date of a thread & that a solution has been accepted can be of much help

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply