Asked buyer to cancel transaction, no response then they paid - help!!

Hi Everyone, 

I am relatively new to eBay and need some help please!! 

I sold an item on Sunday 23rd and directly following the auction ending (and someone being a successful bidder), I changed my mind about selling.  I sent the buyer a message explaining my reasons for wanting to cancel the transaction and not go ahead with the sale. Was very honest, explained that I am new to eBay and had never had a "change of mind" before. I also apologied for the inconvenince. I then lodged a request to cancel the transaction. 

Today is Wed 26th, I have had no resonse to my message and no response to the cancel transaction request (ie. the case is still open).  The buyer had just completed check out and paid for the item. 

How was the buyer able to do this when I requested to cancel the transaction? 

What do I do now? Do I simply refund her money, message again or wait until the 7 day period for the "cancel transaction case" when I can then cancel it myself and then refund her money? 

Please help!! 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Asked buyer to cancel transaction, no response then they paid - help!!

You sold an item and they paid so you should now send it too them.

It does not matter that you sent a request to cancel as they do not want to cancel so have no reason to agree too it.

They have paid so you should send the item and if not then refund them and cop the neg they have every right to leave.

If your change of mind is because the price was not enough for you then sorry but tough luck as you should never list an item for less than you would be happy to sell for..

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
As Sparks mentioned

You can send a cancel request but if the buyer does not want to agree with it they do not have to accept it. You sold an item, now you need to send it. Otherwise refund their money and receive the negative feedback.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Hi, a completed auction with a successful bidder is a contract. Unfortunately you cant change your mind when it has finished. The winner has paid and expects you to fullfil your part of the contract.

As you have asked to cancel the sale and have not received a reply and the buyer has paid you are obligated to proceed with the sale.

Might pay to visit the terms and conditions page on Ebay to understand your obigations

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

It wasnt a reason of selling too low. I made a mistake listing the item, I know....big mistake!  I simply want to keep the item, not about the money at all. 

Can I refund the money before the end of the 7 days of the cancelled transaction request or do I wait until then? 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

You can refund any time you like.  If the buyer does not agree to cancel the transaction you will not get your fees refunded and you will probably get a  well deserved negative.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

You can refund but the buyer does not have to agree to the request to cancel and they have the option to decline and you will still have to pay the fees to ebay.

If you had changed your mind you should have just ended the listing or cancelled the bids if it was too late to end it.

As said best to read up on the rules before you list any more.

If you were the buyer and was told you are not getting the item you wanted after you paid how would you feel??

Send the item and learn by your "mistake"

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the responses everyone. Completely agree and understand with all statements.....its absolutely the wrong thing to do, cetainy learnt form this mistake!!  

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I also didnt realise you can "cancel bids"....I need to read up on this too!!
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

If you do not intend to sell the item, I think the important thing now is to refund the buyer's money immediately.

Yes, you may receive a neg - because after all you did the wrong thing - but it would be wrong to keep someone's money for any time at all.

Don't worry, everybody makes mistakes, sooner or later.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply