Aust Post charged me extra GST on Postage stamps

I sent a parcel off today overseas  I affixed  $30  worth of high denomination  stamps  which I  had. Knowing that the parcel would cost alot more to send to the UK  i was prepared to pay the difference . What i didnt expect was when i was told that I would have to pay $3 dollars extra  for GST for the $30 worth of stamps . What ! I exclaimed ooh yes post office directive, i was told . I noticed that the franked postage sticker that was attached noted that is was GST free .Could it have been that the clerk was mistaken and  i should have got a $3 dollar refund  ?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Just gunna sit back and watch this one ......  Popcorn and drink emoticon_zpsnbkzs8ys.gif

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Yeah, they figured all that out over 3 years ago.
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

How about the GST now on buying items from overseas...Talk about hitting you twice...What a joke!

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

How are they hitting you twice by adding GST to small overseas purchases?

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Lyndal if you are buying stock from Overseas and selling it on ebay...you are being hit twice 10% on the sale price from overseas as well as the 10% on the final sales fees as well.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

That is 2 different things.

The 10% on the overseas purchase is just that.....the new GST imposed on all us who buy from overseas.  What you do with those items is up to you.  This is the Goods part of the GST.

No matter what items you sell, whether from overseas or not, ebay will impose the GST on the final value fees.....which is a charge on the Service ebay provides.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

If the CD seller is paying GST on their sales, that means they are registered and can offset the GST on their imports against it.

No difference to buying, for example, postage supplies.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

How many items do you sell a month Dave?

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

About 60. Less than $6,250 worth.

Why?

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply