Australia Post Not Delivering

Has anyone else been affected by Australia Post not delivering to people's doors and instead expecting them to go to a Post Office and collect? I've had a little parcel non-delivered to my door from an eBay seller eventhough I'm available all day for taking it. I've also witnessed two customers complaining at my own Post Office about them having to go to the Post Office to collect the item eventhough they too were home all day.

What is going on? Is this some new policy with Australia Post? Is eBay a part of this poor delivery service outcome? Are we now going to get negative feedbacks for inconveniencing buyers who expect delivery to their door when it is included in their purchase? Does Amazon permit this shoddy form of fake delivery?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I live 40m from my local PO and yes I've had non deliveries and had to go to the PO.

When this has happened I complained to Aust Post and they were going to look into it.

My point that I made to them was is it because I live right near the PO that it's no problem for me to walk over there and collect?

I said I paid for the parcels to be delivered straight to me, not for me to waste my time collecting them.

All the CS said was we'll look into it blah blah.

My local PO said it could have to do with the driver having to deliver more than they expected and don't have time in some cases to make the daily deliveries.

Sometimes they won't deliver to units/townhouses etc.

But I'm ok with my posties though as I know them all and they know that I'm home and if they don't come knocking then I'll give them what for haha.

Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

This is nothing new. There are plenty of other threads on these forums complaining about this problem that are years old. It's not unique to Australia Post, eBay or even Australia, it happens all over the world. The couriers are overworked and underpaid, so it's no surprise that many of them are forced to cut corners. One of my couriers literally runs down my driveway.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up Amazon, are you implying that they do it better and Amazon is going to send ebay out of business? That's why people usually bring up amazon on these forums. Anway, the answer is yes, there are plenty of complaints to be found on the net about "this shoddy form of fake delivery" from Amazon too.

It's the reason why most deliveries are left "in a safe place" these days if they do not require a signature.

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

I said I paid for the parcels to be delivered straight to me,

Except, you don't really. It might be what you expect, but it isn't what you (or any other sender / recipient) pays for, simply due to the fact that Australia Post don't advertise, nor guarantee, 100% delivery to your door. Recipients would have more solid grounds for complaint if they did.

They are contracted to either get it safely to the address, or get it safely to the adressee, and that word - safely - takes precedence. 

If they are contracted to get it to the address, it's usually a non-issue because they don't need the recipient to be present to sign, so by and large they're just going to deliver. If no one is home and a signature is required, or they assess there is no safe place to leave it, they have been paid specifically not to leave it, unless alternative arrangments have been made.

It's true that often they'll pick out some parcels to just leave off the day's run and not attempt delivery for them, and that can really suck, but I just wanted to post an alternative perspective on the "I paid to have it deliverd to my door" thing, as I see it all the time in various places, and it's not strictly true, and this sort of thing comes with the territory of getting things posted, i.e. that sometimes, you have to collect (the places my packages get taken are all more inconvenient than the post office where my PO box is at, and I've lost my ID, too, so I know it can be a right PITA Smiley LOL ). If it happens all the time, then of course a complaint is in order, but if it's here and there while I get the "dang it, that's annoying" reaction, I don't really get the "this is unacceptable and not what I paid for" reaction I see sometimes. 

Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

After reading the last 2 posts, It appears to me purplemon18 and digital*ghost speak with such authority and conviction here that you would think my original post stands for nothing, an effect which also conveys the possibility that they must be working for eBay to diminish posts like mine shedding a poor light on eBay's operations by directly using all forms of counter argument. Quite reprehensible really if that is the case, when there is more than enough provided to boost support for ensuring eBay and Australia Post do the right thing rather than seeking to have them continue doing the wrong thing.

Let's go through the counter arguments from the start. I shouldn't have to because anyone with common sense who sells on eBay surely would want this sort of thing properly investigated to check whether Australia Post and eBay are in fact NOT diminishing their responsibilities.

purplemon18 states that this is "nothing new", like saying, 'Ho-hum, nothing new to see here...move on'. And then has the audacity to pick on me for mentioning the name Amazon as if she knows everything about Amazon but instead of being supportive with her knowledge, she puts me down. From what I believe, Amazon has extremely high standards and people pay an annual fee to receive very high standards. To say, "It's the reason why most deliveries are left "in a safe place" these days if they do not require a signature." can be discounted because I have example(s) of documented proof that not only refutes your statement but proves the actual point I'm seeking to make here, and that is, Australia Post appears to be implementing tactics to minimise their delivery responsibilities, whether they be signed for articles or non-signature required.

digital*ghost goes further. Picky , picky, picky to the point of trying to find any little way to diminish my argument. 

When anyone sees free delivery, or they pay for delivery, what does the average person believe they are getting? Do you honestly believe that people think in their head that they will have to do part of the delivery? Not me. If Australia Post fail to deliver, for what ever reason, they have several options and there is always another day. I remember days when Australia Post once advertised the lengths they go to ensure delivery. However, there is no race to the bottom option to abdicate responsibilities by default, a service in which we pay for, even if it is secretly absorbed into the sale price, thus making the sale price not the real cost of the goods alone (pity the buyers who automatically pay the hidden Paypal and delivery costs when they actually use a no-fee payment service and pick up the item). I also should add, if buyers start to believe there is a delivery abdication happening, they will refuse to be a part of the delivery process and simply let it sit there, until it goes back to the seller and then the seller has to send it again. I've had to resend due to that and boy, oh boy, it hasn't happened again I can assure you. Do you want to risk your reputation and feedback due to this? Do you want to risk your products showing at lower ranked levels in search results for having a bad reputation with delivery and turn-around times? Do you honestly believe that in this new age world of Uber Eats for example, if you expect delivery of your  food, if it isn't hot food, they leave a card telling you to pick it up? I'm here to safeguard my on-going reputation and high level of quality service I provide and expect from others, including eBay and Australia Post.

If long time uses of eBay, and long time attendees to these forums continue to act in the way of purplemon18 and digital*ghost, you're all going to get cold food when you realize you've been screwed over by a fake form of delivery. Do you all want that? I don't, hence my post.

Australian laws include the Consumer Act which specifically covers misleading and deceptive conduct. Businesses can get themselves in a whole world of pain when they act in ways which mislead or deceive. It only takes one buyer, one consumer, to believe they have been misled or deceived and they have a case.

I can go into every other point made by digital*ghost but I think I've made my point already. Only this morning I have more evidence which totally supports my argument concerning another parcel. To add to the mix, I also have evidence which points to the fact that Australia Post is also enabling the employment of delivery personnel who are not Australian citizens at the direct expense of long-term Australian jobs. I also have evidence that parcels are coming in direct from places overseas when you think the seller is in Australia and the item is located in Australia. This adds further complexity to the mix when in fact those articles are not paying the very minimum real Australian based businesses, sending real Australian located goods, sent from one Australian location to another Australian location can not be delivered for under $7.12 as a bare minimum for less than 500g actual or deemed weight, yet you can buy things on eBay from so called Australian sellers offering Australian located goods, weighing in excess of 500g but costing way under the minimum Australian based delivery cost. Go figure.

Sometimes you have to stand up and expect better from those who have far more power and influence to do the right thing than we do as smaller individuals. This thread has to be seen as a start, particularly if there have been other threads here and we're still dealing with shoddy and/or very unfair/uncompetitve situatuions and outcomes. Thank you to those who read this and are supportive.

Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

But digi yes it is what I paid for lol.

I pay for the items to be tracked and delivered to my letter box or if I need to sign for them then to my front door.

These items sometimes don't get delivered and are left at the PO.

What am I being charged say on average $8.30 for the postage just for me to have to go and get the parcels from my PO?

LOL just as I'm writing this post the Star Trak van has stopped in front of my house as I'm due to have a parcel delivered and low and behold he has just driven off without giving me that parcel,I hobbled out the door to flag him down but I'm too slow lol grrrr.

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

But digi yes it is what I paid for lol.

I pay for the items to be tracked and delivered to my letter box or if I need to sign for them then to my front door.

These items sometimes don't get delivered and are left at the PO.

What am I being charged say on average $8.30 for the postage just for me to have to go and get the parcels from my PO?

LOL just as I'm writing this post the Star Trak van has stopped in front of my house as I'm due to have a parcel delivered and low and behold he has just driven off without giving me that parcel,I hobbled out the door to flag him down but I'm too slow lol grrrr.

Decided to go and cut him off at the next street lol,caught him as he was about to go into another property and asked him does he have a parcel for my address as I saw him pull up in front and he said just let me check and yes the parcel was right there.

His excuse was he didn't realize but once he checked through his log he would have come back (pigs **bleep**).

He gave me my parcel I signed for it and then walked the 60mtrs back to my home.

This is really starting to annoy me because as it had to be signed for and if he did come back I wouldn't have been home because once I have waited for whoever or whatever and it's all done I go off to the shop.

Perhaps the postie knows my bloody routine and does it to me on purpose lol.

PS I know it would have only been 40mtrs for me to walk if I let him leave it at the PO hahaha.

Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

Here we go again - anybody telling it like it is is an eBay employee. eBay don't appear to have any Australian employees and if any do post they are required to identify themselves as such.

Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

Picky , picky, picky to the point of trying to find any little way to diminish my argument. 

What argument? Your argument was with AP. Why do you think eBay has any responsibility? Especially given that the means of postage is (mainly) determined by the seller. Not eBay.

Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

When anyone sees free delivery, or they pay for delivery, what does the average person believe they are getting? Do you honestly believe that people think in their head that they will have to do part of the delivery? Not me. If Australia Post fail to deliver, for what ever reason, they have several options and there is always another day.

Are you saying all those people like me who live in towns with no street delivery should refuse to collect their mail at the PO, on the assumption that AP can't legally refuse to deliver it to our houses, and that sellers are responsible for ensuring it gets delivered to my house even if AP doesn't provide such a service?  

I'm quite sure AP know what their legal requirements are.  If you know better, perhaps you could provide some proof of where AP say they guarantee delivery to our letterbox.  I think AP have a requirement that we provide suitable letterboxes (which most people don't have when it comes to parcels) but as I'm not the one quibbling over the service I'm not going to spend time looking for proof of anything.

Message 10 of 43
Latest reply