Australia Post! What a joke!

I sent an item with Australia post.  I had the choice of putting it in a satchel, but I thought it would be better bubble wrapped and placed in a box which cost me more money to do this, as I changed my mind last minute to do this, and only charged the buyer what it would cost to place in a satchel. 

The buyer received it today broken.  It was hard plastic item, and the item looks like it has been run over by a truck.

I am so unhappy with Australia post service as they have zero care factor with their items.

What gets me, is that eBay takes a commission of the item + postage, and then you post the item and it does not arrive in good order, and Australia post won't take responsibility for there every day service  yet we have to pay the price. We take the responsibility for ebay and Australia post, yet these two companies are Mammoth, and we are just the little people.

I know there is really nothing I can do, as I don't want a dispute, and I have refunded the buyer in full, and also asked the buyer to put in a claim at Australia post , which he may or may not do.

I am just having a winge, 

Tomorrow is a new day! And hopefully a better one!

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I was told by the supervisor at one of the local post offices that they will only honour a claim if the item was wrapped by AP staff, regardless of whether its insured or not. If they can get out of paying - they will.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

I didn't know AP offered a wrapping service!

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

I am sure they would charge a fee for wrapping your items anyway. A win for them, a loss for us.

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

They won't wrap at my local PO. Lady in front of me wanted them to pack something for her last week and they sold her all the bits and pieces she needed and told her (nicely) to go away and do it herself ... they didn't have time... And they don't either. Our PO is flat out from doors open until doors shut and mostly beyond.

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Some of them are such busy places that queues are often out the door in my area, and it's funny because it has an automated entry door.  It's amusing watching people deal with the door when in the queue.

Anyway.. half the people at POs seem to just wanna pay a bill which can be done online in a minute.  I wrote to AP about eight years ago suggesting they setup a self-serve pay station for bills and they thanked me for the suggestion.

I read last year that they are now trialling them in some stores.  I've never seen one though.

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

@fmurphy2005 wrote:

Some of them are such busy places that queues are often out the door in my area, and it's funny because it has an automated entry door.  It's amusing watching people deal with the door when in the queue.

Anyway.. half the people at POs seem to just wanna pay a bill which can be done online in a minute.  I wrote to AP about eight years ago suggesting they setup a self-serve pay station for bills and they thanked me for the suggestion.

I read last year that they are now trialling them in some stores.  I've never seen one though.

We have a self-serve station at Gympie PO - unfortunately it doesn't seem to answer the purpose as they allocate a staff member to man it to explain how it works, so that means one less person serving at the counter.  Smiley Happy  And the one time I went to use it to pay car registration, I was told it does not do car registrations.  Smiley Surprised

Also a self-serve screen where you can calculate postage, find postcodes, etc - but, it seems that is also too hard from some, as they call for assistance from the counter to find out how to use it !!!!

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

I asked my Aus Post yesterday if they wrap items, and therefore be covered by any claims if an item is broken in transit.   They said they hadn't heard of this, and they have seen how I wrap my items, and I would do a better job!

I don't believe they have just said that to fob me off, as there workers there are very efficient and helpful. It's the couriers that don't give a damn!

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

I think they must have told me that, so they could get out of paying my claim.
Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

n_maync
Community Member

I just add my voice. Aussie Post is a joke when seen from abroad. Mail takes forever, and unpredictably so. Anyone in his right mind tries to get around sending mail the old-fashioned way. Packages? Well, from abroad it's a no, no. Because no one wants to work with those. Work! Heaven forbid. There is a 5 page A4 document detailing what you cannot send into Australia from Japan, and browsing it is so little fun and hairsplitting that you conclude it's best not to send anything. Send money by acct number and Bsb number in a jiffy instead. It's the only way. You MUST learn to cut out Australia Post, it's the postal system befitting a banana republic.It simply doesn't exist.

Nick

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply