Australia Post rates to increase - Sep 1 (?)

The manager of my local PO gave me a heads up today that new postage prices are coming on September 1.

He didn't know any details, though we were discussing international letter vs parcel rates when he told me. Individual post offices apparently have no more detailed advance information than we do, but at least, if he's right, I know it's coming.

You might want to put aside time on Sep 1st to go through the fun process of updating all your postage quotes.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I can't figure out if there's been an increase to stamp / large letter prices, I would have assumed not due to the pricing regulations on stamps, and nothing being put forward about it, but a lot of the letter services listed there are higher than current regular pricing (by about 40c each bracket, can't see any advantage in the mail systems in question if they're up to 20% more expensive than just buying stamps) Smiley Frustrated 

500g parcels up now to $8.30, so I guess $7.05 at max discount via My Post Business. 

I see they're also introducing a 50-125g large letter weight bracket for international mail - that will be good for me because it's cheaper than what we have now (50g - 250g @ $9.00), but not so good for those sending 125-250g as that's now $12. Well past time for me to switch to DHL for international, anyway. 

At long last international insurance has dropped (nearly halved), but domestic insurance is increasing to $2.00 per $100. 

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

It doesn't mention if standard 500g parcels are going up, nor prepaid large letters.

I suppose if they gave out that info, we could stock up.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

did I read it wrong... I thought it said post satchels were 8:55... and a bigger jump $14... somthing for 3kg... and 5kg was a whole .5c more...

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

You read it right. But that is for prepaid satchels, not standard, own packaging parcels.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

It doesn't mention if standard 500g parcels are going up,

In the assessed parcel PDF, the 500g rate is listed as $8.30 (currently $7.95). 

Post-paid flat rate satchels (either eBay or My Post) isn't listed anywhere that I could see, though. 

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Okay.

The postpaid ones didn't go up last year. From AP, at least; eBay added 15c per label. I expect they will go up proportionally. It would be nice to know.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

250g letter to USA to go to $12 instead of $9 - that's pretty hefty Smiley Mad

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

yeah - domestic insurance is a rort. i did notice though that with the mypost discount .. even at 12.5% for postage, the extra cover cost is discounted by 33%. i guess that's one good thing? 

to be honest, i don't send letters - so i didn't look through the pricing, because it all seemed long, boring and confusing Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Great, my #1 market is going to fizzle off even more if I am reading this right.  500g parcel to US and Canada $17, up from $15.85.

Add eBay's 10% fee of $1.70 and I will be charging those buyers. $18.70, but then eBay will be effectively charging me $1.87, so best to just make it a nice rounded $19.  Getting close to the $20 mark.  I will need to soon look at raising my item prices to help the raised postage price seem kess unreasonable.  A vicious cycle.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Prepaid registered envelopes are going up (B4?) to $65.50 for a pack of 10. I asked my post office about it yesterday and he looked it up for me. I was paying $63.70 before (from memory) so an 18c price rise per envelope - still excellent value.

There's no change to the price of stamps so I doubt other prepaid envelopes will change, only the registered ones. I can't remember whether he told me that there'd be no change to the stamp price or whether I read it somewhere, but I was specifically looking for that information and took note of it when I saw it. It may have been on the notice on the door of the PO listing the items that would increase in price.
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply