Australia Post rates to increase - Sep 1 (?)

The manager of my local PO gave me a heads up today that new postage prices are coming on September 1.

He didn't know any details, though we were discussing international letter vs parcel rates when he told me. Individual post offices apparently have no more detailed advance information than we do, but at least, if he's right, I know it's coming.

You might want to put aside time on Sep 1st to go through the fun process of updating all your postage quotes.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Australia Post rates to increase - Sep 1 (?)

Oops, should have read their website before I answered because reg'd prepaids are on there - and 1/2 cent more per envelope than I said for a pack of 10.

I see that you'll be able to buy 1kg satchels in singles and not have to buy a whole 10-pack.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

The 1kg is definitely a plus. I use a few, but I'd prefer not to have to shell out $110 when I run out. Depending on my cashflow situation.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

I suppose they sold a lot more than they expected so they're prepared to sell them singly now. I have no problem going through ten, even if it does take a few months. I bought my last pack of 10 on ebay for about $90 and they were express, but I'll have to be very careful not to get fake ones if I do that again! $90 is a lot less to shell out than $110 and I basically only paid for 8 of them. 🙂

I'm glad the 5kg haven't changed much.  It took me about six years to use my last four.  I still have one but I'll use that shortly, but I won't be buying any more until I need them.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

250g letter to USA to go to $12 instead of $9 - that's pretty hefty Smiley Mad

Yep - that is my main overseas shipping option so it will have a big impact

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@jfmgray wrote:

@curraone wrote:

250g letter to USA to go to $12 instead of $9 - that's pretty hefty Smiley Mad

Yep - that is my main overseas shipping option so it will have a big impact

Yeah, that kind of difference would impact sales for sure. I offer free domestic postage, but I charge $9 Int. I might just raise that to $10 and wear the difference from my profit which I would have lost anyway if I'd sold it domestically.

Also  they seem to have added a $8 Asia bracket, and increased NZ prices.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I can't figure out if there's been an increase to stamp / large letter prices, I would have assumed not due to the pricing regulations on stamps, and nothing being put forward about it, but a lot of the letter services listed there are higher than current regular pricing (by about 40c each bracket, can't see any advantage in the mail systems in question if they're up to 20% more expensive than just buying stamps) Smiley Frustrated 

500g parcels up now to $8.30, so I guess $7.05 at max discount via My Post Business. 

@I see they're also introducing a 50-125g large letter weight bracket for international mail - that will be good for me because it's cheaper than what we have now (50g - 250g @ $9.00), but not so good for those sending 125-250g as that's now $12. Well past time for me to switch to DHL for international, anyway. 

At long last international insurance has dropped (nearly halved), but domestic insurance is increasing to $2.00 per $100. 

I think you are looking at "priority" pricing. Those Extra stamps you can put on to supposedly get it there faster than regular mail but slower than express.

regular metered mail is $0.99 per stamp. If I used one of those machines I'd be insulted by a 1 cent discount. But I guess it is still cheaper than a stamp.

There is not an increase to the humble stamp though, Nearly everything else they can think of though.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

@digital*ghost

I think you are looking at "priority" pricing. Those Extra stamps you can put on to supposedly get it there faster than regular mail but slower than express.

regular metered mail is $0.99 per stamp. If I used one of those machines I'd be insulted by a 1 cent discount. But I guess it is still cheaper than a stamp.

There is not an increase to the humble stamp though, Nearly everything else they can think of though.

It was under the regular, non-priority timetable, but I figured it out when I took a proper look on the computer (originally looked at the list on my phone - bad idea Smiley LOL ).

The large letters listed at $2.40, $3.40 and $5.40 were for the reply paid service. 

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply