Australia Post rates to increase - Sep 1 (?)

The manager of my local PO gave me a heads up today that new postage prices are coming on September 1.

He didn't know any details, though we were discussing international letter vs parcel rates when he told me. Individual post offices apparently have no more detailed advance information than we do, but at least, if he's right, I know it's coming.

You might want to put aside time on Sep 1st to go through the fun process of updating all your postage quotes.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

From memory, I think there used to be 2 increases per year?

Once for domestic items and the other for international, but maybe they just do one across the board now.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

When the new rates are made public, they should be published here: https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

You don't want to wait till September 1st to do it as that's a Saturday and a lot of Friday (and previous) sales won't be posted until the Monday.

It only takes a couple of minutes to update the postage on all your listings if you use business policies.
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
You don't want to wait till September 1st to do it as that's a Saturday and a lot of Friday (and previous) sales won't be posted until the Monday.

It only takes a couple of minutes to update the postage on all your listings if you use business policies.

Yes, but how can you update your listings before Sep 1, when you don't know what the new charges are going to be (or even what they'll be on) until then?

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

The new rates are usually published 2-4 weeks in advance, so the link above will contain an announcement sooner or later. 

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

AP generally increase their prices on a Monday.

Normally parcels are October (the 1st of which is a Monday), letters are January.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

It's unusual for them not to give plenty of notice so you're probably right about October.

Letters haven't changed for a few years. Don't they have to get special permission to change the basic letter rate, which is what all the large letter prices are based on?
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

I checked with our PO today & they showed me their info which said 1st October for increases on some items.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

the info for the price changes has been added to the AP website today effective october 1st.

https://auspost.com.au/business/shipping/check-postage-costs/pricing-updates

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply