Australia Post tracking idea. Feedback sought from sellers.

Reposting this idea from bekb a member of the Australia Post Community Forums. Please add your thoughts, Pro's - Con's.

With the increase in demand for Tracking & products available for small businesses & working from home. Is Aus Post working on an app for Senders to Scan their own products against Barcoded Street Boxes? ie. Item dropped at xxxx Box 26/05/2020 10:59AM ?

On every Red, Yellow post box and mail slots at Post Offices, display a QR code with encoded identification and location data.

1. Using Australia Post MyPost, customers and sellers pay and print postage labels for their parcels.

2. Take parcels to a post box.

3. Open Australia Post app on phone and login to MyPost.

4. Scan QR code on post box.

5. Scan QR code on parcel label for lodgement receipt.

6. Place parcels in post box.

This lodgement process was a feature of the Self Serve Kiosks in Post Offices but never implemented and takes it one step further to street level. For trusted sellers it would be very helpful and convenient, saving lots of time waiting in queues. It also adds an extra scan between the street post box and the Post Office or Mail Centre, the next leg in delivery (think theft).

Self lodgement brings automation and after hours service to the postal network and the cost to roll this feature out is not enormous and uses a lot of existing services.

https://community.auspost.com.au/s/question/0D72v000005TN6M/with-the-increase-in-demand-for-tracking...

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Australia Post tracking idea. Feedback sought from sellers.

@south.coffee wrote:

Good point about senders using a copy of the local boxes QR code. Maybe adding a geo location check in the app when the QR code is scanned to cross check the box location could be applied.

That would definitely make it more likely the package was lodged in the street box, but not prove it - this could be an issue in other ways for Australia Post, for example if nothing ever gets an official scan, the sender could feel the QR scan at the box proves lodgement, but I have no doubt Aus Post wouldn't accept that as proof and therefore wouldn't accept any liability, either. It could also be an issue determining the actual box clearance time for the parcel in question and where / how Aus Post try to locate it.

These kinds of issues (should they occur) would likely be a very small percentage of articles posted in this way, but Australia post would still need to consider them, and then create new procedures and T&Cs for them as well.

Which is not to say the idea I proffered above wouldn't come with its own set of issues - i.e. there's a reason self-service terminals at supermarkets require a staff member to oversee. In the case of a street box, I would presume only digital lodgement receipts could be issued as paper receipts would be highly impractical, and there'd be no one there who could do anything if there's a barcode read error, the lodgement recepticle locks up, or "unexpected package in the lodging area" starts chirping. Smiley LOL 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@cremo1 wrote:

Why cant Aust Post update their tracking system to something from the 1970s instead of that pathetic joke they use now ?

Maybe 'cos they don't want us to see parcels stuck / rerouted / lost in Underwood Chullora and Sunshine West.

Or Perth.

I sent a parcel to Tasmania last week. It was scanned at Dandenong on 20/5, then Perth Airport on 25/5. If it doesn't get delivered soon, I might suggest to AP that if they sent parcels where they are supposed to go without detours, then they would be able to charge more reasonable rates.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Nope. Who's to say a seller wouldn't scan it in, then take the parcel home?

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I have a better idea, Submit them at a post office or get a business account with AP, This is a dumb idea it can be abused because sellers can get away with underpaid mail and franked stamps.

Like digi said it will always be "well you accepted it, its not underpaid" Also as other people said this can be abused by scammers not actually sending the item
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Australia Post letter service is losing money due to their Universal Service Obligations to maintain a daily letter box delivery regardless of diminishing letter volume. Their parcel business is going gang busters and profitable.

I'll but shares if ever it gets privatised. It is one business unit of the Government that returns a dividend to the sole shareholder.
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Box Drops would not be considered as lodgement and T&C's could be rewritten to reflect this especially when it comes to non delivery for insurance compensation claims.

A Box Drop scan would also help identify and deter potential theft between the clearing of boxes and the Post Office or Mail Centre and oddly, assist with Box vandalism when someone sets them on fire (a very common problem).
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@cremo1 wrote:

Why cant Aust Post update their tracking system to something from the 1970s instead of that pathetic joke they use now ?

No wonder they are losing business hand over fist to other options.

The tracking system is just fine - I get notifications on my mobile phone/AP app/via email, and can scan my own parcels in quickly and easily through the app.

The issue is when parcel volumes are high, or label quality/presentation is low - fewer (or no) scans are made post-lodgement, meaning fewer (or no) tracking updates.

Given the surge in parcel volumes these past four months, I'd argue AP have actually gained business, not lost it.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@audio-spot wrote:

Just a quick thought... some of those unscrupulous sellers might photograph the QR code, print it out at home, and make it look like they have posted an item earlier then they actually did!

This was my first thought - a scammer could amass a collection of QR codes and fake box-drops for multiple locations.

At the very least, make the QR code dynamic - an e-ink display could faciliate this, so it could be updated daily, or hourly, or each minute.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply