Bidders Privacy Option Question

Hello All,

I would like to get some feedback from other store owners and sellers about the advantages and disadvantages of using the "bidders privacy" option when listing items. When the buyer leaves feedback the item is marked as "private" and cannot be viewed by others.

I can understand that this would be an advantage to buyers, and therefore this is why I have so far been offering it.

But does this outweigh the advantages for me as a seller if the items can be seen in my feedback list?

I sell mostly to women, and I guess this has been influencing my decision thus far.

Would appreciate some views from other sellers.

Warm regards, Beautiful Baby Vintage

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bidders Privacy Option Question

As you are selling old patterns with BIN I do not think it makes any difference to your sales either way.  Private listing on auctions put people off as they may suspect shill bidding.  Private listing should be only used for items of delicate nature, as people would not like having the item in their FB visible to everybody.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

generally speaking, many buyers are wary of 'private listings' as they cannot determine whether the Seller is self-bidding or not.

the choice of private listings was introduced for sellers of 'sensitive items' such as underwear, sexually related items,  weightloss pills etc... things a buyer doesnt want everyone to know they buy.

Also, many Coin and Antique dealers use it on high value items, especially gold etc. as many buyers like the privacy and dont like everyone knowing they buy expensive gold coins or whatever.

for 'general' non-sensitive items, it has little advantage to the buyer to hide the f/back and no advantage whatsoever for the Seller.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

There is nothing to sensitive with what you are selling and as they are BIN why have them private?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thankyou for your replies.

I really had no idea what was behind the "privacy" thing.

I thought it was just a security thing that people like to use when they are on the internet 🙂

Thankyou for enlightening me.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply