Bidding

I am so annoyed with the bidding,  buyers wait till the last seconds and  the one putting in an unrealitic high bid   always wins the auction.   There is not enough time for other buyers to get to their highest bid.

It would be better  that all automatic bids put in will run to the amount buyers are willing to pay.  So the seller gets the real value of the item.

What do other Ebayers think?

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Bidding

Thanks  anyway.

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

Thank you for your long reply.  I wrote from a sellers view point.  Knew that the item was worth $200 more than it got to.

It was the time left only seconds;  that was the cause of it not reaching the price,  I knew the article was worth. I have learned and will put a higher starting price, or may be a reserve price on it.

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

OMG  I did not realise  by putting my frustration on this community board put me open to so much scruteny.  People see even what I have written so long ago.  I am not a seasoned seller.  although have done it a while.  I am too old to cope with the many changes.

I will never put a comment on this community board again.  Wow it shocked me so many replies. I have not used the selling tricks to my advantage  nowadays use Ebay seldom.  Sorry to have stated my frustration  and learned from the experience.  Thanks

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

You're right.  Thanks

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

Thank you.

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

@salonika-b wrote:

OMG  I did not realise  by putting my frustration on this community board put me open to so much scruteny.  People see even what I have written so long ago.  I am not a seasoned seller.  although have done it a while.  I am too old to cope with the many changes.

I will never put a comment on this community board again.  Wow it shocked me so many replies. I have not used the selling tricks to my advantage  nowadays use Ebay seldom.  Sorry to have stated my frustration  and learned from the experience.  Thanks

I think if you have questions etc, the boards here are great. No need to avoid them at all.

From what I can see of your problem, if I have it right, you are upset as you feel some bidders leave it late to put in bids  then run out of time to outbid others as everyone else has left it to the last few seconds too.

If that is the case, then it is going to happen whether an auction is 5 days, 7 days or whatever, because  those bidders are deliberately waiting till the last few seconds.

Extending the auction each time there is another bid would probably just frustrate people. I saw one site that did just that but I hated it as I think it was a 20 second wait after a bid and I found others jumping in at about 19 seconds and the wait started again. I lost patience watching and clicked out.

Personally, if I bid on an ebay auction, I tend to bid in the last 20 seconds so could be outbid, but I put in my max and if someone else outbids me in the last 2 seconds, so be it. 

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

@whiznumber6 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

@whiznumber6 wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

While I certainly might be prepared to pay $250 for an item (and have that as my maximum bid on an item), I don't particularly want to pay that - I'll happily take the option of getting it for $25 if I can. 

The chap who puts in a bid early may have $100 as his maximum, but be prepared to go much higher if a bidding war ensues. Placing the $250 bid at the very end catches him unaware, and means I get the item at the next bid over $100 rather than perhaps double that. 

I used to be like crow & just put in my top bid early, because I don't trust my computer to be up to the exact second with bidding etc.

But I got annoyed one time when a bidder outbid me with small increments-maybe about 15 or more of them?  And took the lead. I shrugged my shoulders and thought no worries, they can have it. 

Went to check the next day (about 24 hours later) & they were still in the lead so thought no more of it. I was shocked a few days later to find I was the winner. That other person had withdrawn their last bid. 

To this day, I believe it was shill bidding or else someone who just wanted to expose my top bid & I can't tell you how annoying I found it. But for that person who withdrew their bid, I would have got it for half the price as there were no other bidders. Half the price wasn't dirt cheap either. My top bid was in the high range which would be okay if a few bidders had been there but felt like scamming if it was shill bidding.

I can't explain it better & I know I had put that in as a top auto bid but it felt like it had been pushed there by unfair means, which I resented.

So after that day, I swore never again put myself in that position so now in an auction format, I tend to bid in the last few hours.

I got religion when I was bidding on items from a particular seller, and consistently beating another bidder. The seller put a large number of items up, I put in the same monster bid on all of them within a few minutes of them being listed, and the disgruntled under-bidder (who had by then worked out what my maximum was by nibbling away in $5 increments on one of the items) put in a bid five dollars less than my maximum on every single item about ten seconds before the end of each auction.

I wound up being a couple of thousand dollars in the hole as a result.

(Mind you, I got my own back on the next batch the seller put up - I put in a modest opening bid on each one, just to signal that I was bidding. The other guy assumed I was putting in the same maximum amount as before, and put in his last minute "I don't want the item myself, I just want to make him pay through the nose" bids. From the previous batch, I'd seen how high he was setting his maximum bids, and had programmed a sniper service to put in a bid five dollars or so lower than his maximum a few seconds before each item ended. This time around, HE got all the items - which he may not even have wanted - and at a hugely inflated price. Turnabout is fair play...).

Now I use a sniper service, timed to place the bid seven seconds before the end of the auction. In the almost ten years I've been using it (and probably at least a couple of thousand items), I can only recall missing out on item because the service was down at the time the auction ended.

The moral of the story is never have exactly the same top bid. Vary it a few dollars one way or another each time, even if sniping. It also helps to use random cents at the end of the bid, sometimes above 50 cents, sometimes below.

Common mistakes bidders make are to always bid the same amount or always bid in round figures ie. $10, $50, $100 etc, making it very easy for others to guess their bid. Another common bidding tactic to avoid is repeat numbers such as $111.11 or $22.22, as these are very easy for others to figure out.

There are a few reasons others will try to find out your top bid and push you to the limit if they have time. One is that the seller is shill bidding. Another is competition amongst collector buyers. If you and another id both collect the same thing, your opposition can push you to your limit to empty your pockets out, so that you cant afford to keep buying stuff. The same happens with dealers competing over certain items to resell. One may decide to push the other to his / her maximum to reduce the oppositions profitability and buying power.

ALWAYS USE RANDOM NUMBERS WHEN BIDDING - such as $43.91 and prefferably in the last few seconds of the auction.

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

@salonika-b wrote:

Thank you for your long reply.  I wrote from a sellers view point.  Knew that the item was worth $200 more than it got to.

It was the time left only seconds;  that was the cause of it not reaching the price,  I knew the article was worth. I have learned and will put a higher starting price, or may be a reserve price on it.

Always start an auction at the minimum price you are willing to accept for the item. The days of bidding wars and prices racing well past an items value in a frenzy of bidding excitement are long gone on ebay. The catagories that allow reserves to be placed are very limited on ebay and usually relate to motor vehicles and similar items. For most things, your starting price is your reserve.

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

Amen, Chameleon.

Exactly right.

I'd say one of the reasons the person bid on salonika's item was it was looking like a good or bargain buy. There is absolutely no guarantee that any of the bidders wanted to pay an extra $200 for it, even if the time had been extended.

But if a seller has a minimum price in mind, one that they will be unhappy to sell below, then that is what they need to start at. No use starting a lot lower & expecting the auction process to carry it to what you want as it may not happen. Most buyers will be aiming to get it at the lowest price they can manage.

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

Bidding

I thought if someone put his highest bid  at $500  and the auction was alowed only after the time it origionally finished  to let automatic bids run its course.  Then the item would have been sold for $500  of course one never know what is put as those last bids.  Which I call unrealistic  because buyers know  there are not enough minutes left to get to those high amounts.  Any way  I got so many good ideas of you members  that I will never complain again.

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply