Buy It Now

Is there a best  time of day to list "Buy it Now" items? I sometimes list straightaway which could be mid morning or late afternoon.I know in theory that buyers can buy at anytime,but is evening the best time to start a listing? This is only for "Buy it Now" items. What do other sellers think ?

Thank you in advance,Patricia.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Buy It Now

I list BIN exclusively. They usually end between 6 and 11pm, because that's when I'm home to do listings.

My sale times range from 12am until 11.59pm. The few between midnight and 6am are at the early points of that range and mainly WA. But BINs aren't really time sensitive, so list them when it is convenient for you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

@joztamps wrote:

A free subscription to Sales Reports would have saved you all that yakka, and broken all your sales up into both listing ending times and days of the week as well.Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, it doesn't allow for any bias you have in your listing or ending times and days, ie it doesn't show what percentage of listings listed or ending at a particular time or on a particular day actually result in sales; nor, as a consequence, does it compare the strike rates between those variables.

I don't use Seller Hub or whatever gives me sales reports and it only took 5 minutes to sort my emails alphabetically so all the sold ones were together and I could see the times of day.  

For most of my sales I usually open the listing so I can check/update the amount available so it's easy for me to see when the listing started in relation to when it sold.  On the other account they often sold mid cycle (30 days) but I figured if people were buying at night it was a good idea to have my listings starting/ending at night because they might see something of mine about to end (or just started) and check out my other items.  I was selling in a category where one seller had ten duplicate listings for each item and if I listed just before them my listings got buried.

For some items, listing at the time people are most likely to buy (if there is such a time) can mean more views as some people regularly check what's been newly listed, so BINs are time sensitive to a certain extent.  The real bargains get snapped up soon after they're listed so there's at least a few people who regularly check newly listed in some categories. 

On this ID I tend to get more sales from items that are about to end than those that are newly listed, but I know others who sell more at the start of the cycle than the end. 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

for BIN i really doesnt matter when i list or when they end.

for AUCTIONS i would usually want them ending on a weekend, saturday night or sunday night.

but i dont bother with auctions anymore.

the days of bidding wars seem to be long gone.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I'm a buyer only but I could not care less when an item is listed.

I check every day, sometimes twice a day,  for new listings of items I am looking for so if an item is listed after my first search then I find it on the second search.

This is where listing times can matter.  If it's a really busy category a lot of people who check newly listed regularly may not check back far enough to see your items, so listing at the time of the day when more people look could get more sales.  That's why I went through my emails to see if there was a pattern in the timing of my sales.

In one category I occasionally sell in, there's a seller who floods the category at a particular time of day and I try and avoid that time of day to list.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Buy It Now

pats_treasures, I can at least tell you when not to list an item, and that is ... on a Friday.

Fridays may as well be renamed Glitchday for eBay Australia members.

Speaking as a buyer rather than as a seller, Sunday seems for many to be a good day as people tend to relax on a Sunday without having to work or dash off somewhere. It's a good day for eBay browsing, to see if anything new catches one's eye.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I'm a buyer only but I could not care less when an item is listed.

I check every day, sometimes twice a day,  for new listings of items I am looking for so if an item is listed after my first search then I find it on the second search.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

I can only echo what has been said

Never on a Friday

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

Doesn't matter when you start a BIN especially if you have it listed for 30 days.

No one waits until the end on a 30 day BIN listing.

It's auctions you dont want ending at peculiar times or Fridays.

And always a good idea to have at least one weekend in auctions.

image host
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

A while ago I went through my email folder with all my sold emails in it and had a look at the time of day things sold.  On one ID over half the items sold between about 8 and 11pm, with quite a few selling late morning.  A lot would depend on your products and the target market, but in my case (not this ID) I decided to have things ending round about the times that people mostly bought.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

I list BIN exclusively. They usually end between 6 and 11pm, because that's when I'm home to do listings.

My sale times range from 12am until 11.59pm. The few between midnight and 6am are at the early points of that range and mainly WA. But BINs aren't really time sensitive, so list them when it is convenient for you.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

A free subscription to Sales Reports would have saved you all that yakka, and broken all your sales up into both listing ending times and days of the week as well.Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, it doesn't allow for any bias you have in your listing or ending times and days, ie it doesn't show what percentage of listings listed or ending at a particular time or on a particular day actually result in sales; nor, as a consequence, does it compare the strike rates between those variables.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

My buying time frame is between 6-11.30pm so is my drinking and whinging so sometimes I end up buying an item that I don't remember buying then I start whinging and then I have another drink to calm down.

This is my daily process so I could end up buying something from everyone that sells between these hours lol.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Buy It Now

@joztamps wrote:

I don't use Seller Hub or whatever gives me sales reports and it only took 5 minutes to sort my emails alphabetically so all the sold ones were together and I could see the times of day.  

For most of my sales I usually open the listing so I can check/update the amount available so it's easy for me to see when the listing started in relation to when it sold.  On the other account they often sold mid cycle (30 days) but I figured if people were buying at night it was a good idea to have my listings starting/ending at night because they might see something of mine about to end (or just started) and check out my other items.  I was selling in a category where one seller had ten duplicate listings for each item and if I listed just before them my listings got buried.

For some items, listing at the time people are most likely to buy (if there is such a time) can mean more views as some people regularly check what's been newly listed, so BINs are time sensitive to a certain extent.  The real bargains get snapped up soon after they're listed so there's at least a few people who regularly check newly listed in some categories. 

On this ID I tend to get more sales from items that are about to end than those that are newly listed, but I know others who sell more at the start of the cycle than the end. 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply