Postage Rate Tables with Local Pickup

I have successfully set up the Postage Rate Tables on our listings... we offer a flat rate which differs per region.

However, I can't get the "Local Pickup" option to appear on our listings when the Postage Rate Tables are in use.

If I remove the Postage Rate Table, the Local Pickup option appears.

We sell furniture, so having a local pickup option in place is important for us because shipping can be costly.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@auswideoffice,

Are you perhaps listing using the quick listing default? I believe you may need to use Advanced listing option.

I'm a buyer rather than seller, so I may well be wrong.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

These are my settings...

(attached)

If I remove the check against "Apply domestic postage rate table" then it works OK.

If I enable to postage rate table, then the Local Pickup option disappears.

I think the postage rate table must override all other settings.

I can see no way to add Local Pickup as an option to the table itself, which would be the ideal solution.

I need our buyers to be able to choose both methods (pay freight or pickup) and I need to be able to specify different rates for different areas. As you can imagine it's not the same cost to freight a desk to a regional area as it is in a metro area.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Hi,

I don't use the rates tables, but I had an issue a while back whereby if I selected 'Calculated Postage' on a listing, then the 'Local Pickup' option was unavailable. If I selected 'Flat Rate' then I could also select 'Local Pickup' as an option.

I contacted eBay by phone, who were unable to offer any explanation as to why, and simply suggested 'workarounds' like writing in my listing that I did offer local pickup.

As far as I could understand it was just a site error / glitch. Not sure if they ever resolved it but it would be worth following up with them I think.

Good luck 🙂

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

My experience with calling Ebay is the same... they don't know why you have an issue, they can't fix it and they offer a workaround.

I have stated in my listing that we offer pickup, but that then opens up a whole can of worms because the only way they can avoid paying freight is if  we invoice them outside of ebay, which is obviously against ebay rules and then we get in trouble.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I don't know the answer for sure and I'm not at home right now to check, but a lot of the postal supplies sellers I buy from who use the rate tables offer separate listings for local pick up only (on the same items, I mean).

I always wondered why, but this may explain it.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Is that allowed? To duplicate listings?

This might be the solution 🙂

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Haha well eBay should surely approve of that 'solution' because it is a 'workaround' and that seems to be their way.

I did have a problem once also with International Calculated Post giving incorrect service / price info.

I was told (on the phone) "eBay discourages sellers from using the eBay Postage Calculator, and encourages sellers to use Flat Rate Postage".... W.T. very F.?

Good luck with it all... 😉

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

As a general rule duplicate listings aren't allowed unless they cater to different buyer needs. Offering local pickup - if not possible with rate tables - may qualify, but I'd try to get it in writing from eBay first.
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Do people from Ebay read these posts? Can I tag them? Or contact them separately?

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply