Buyer asking for refund because of app associated with item

I sold two indoor security cameras on Ebay. The cameras work alongside an android app deveoped by the makers of the camera. The cameras were brand new, an unwanted gift. So a buyer wins the auction and opens up the cameras, so far so good but now apparently he is having difficultly setting up this app.

As far as the buyer has told me the cameras work fine but this app developed by the manufacturer is causing the buyer some problems in setting it up and getting it to work. In this case I am not sure if it is a lack of technical awareness of the buyer or if the buyers internet is at fault or if the app is hard to use but now the buyer is asking for a potential refund.

I am not sure how much responsibility I need to take for this problem. As I know near nothing about the buyers internet or android and have never used this app and I didn't develop it shouldn't the buyer should be asking for help with the manufacturers to get the right settings on this app? I did send a link to a guide published by the manufacturers on how to set up the app but apparently the buyer needs more technical help for this app.

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Please don't partially refund. The buyer bought the cameras, not the app and the cameras are as described. I have issues sometimes with the Swann app, I can only imagine a cheap Chinese knock off would be a nightmare. I bought my Swann system on eBay. No way I'd ever go after the seller because it took me a bit to get the app working. They sold me the cameras, not the app. Now that I have NBN, the app works great most of the time!

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Definitely! jd20005, I'd also say don't give a partial refund.

What the buyer might do (in the event of his having continuing trouble in setting up the cameras) isn't reason to give him money. Giving the buyer information to help him set up the cameras is good; partial refund, no.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply