Buyer asking for refund because of app associated with item

I sold two indoor security cameras on Ebay. The cameras work alongside an android app deveoped by the makers of the camera. The cameras were brand new, an unwanted gift. So a buyer wins the auction and opens up the cameras, so far so good but now apparently he is having difficultly setting up this app.

As far as the buyer has told me the cameras work fine but this app developed by the manufacturer is causing the buyer some problems in setting it up and getting it to work. In this case I am not sure if it is a lack of technical awareness of the buyer or if the buyers internet is at fault or if the app is hard to use but now the buyer is asking for a potential refund.

I am not sure how much responsibility I need to take for this problem. As I know near nothing about the buyers internet or android and have never used this app and I didn't develop it shouldn't the buyer should be asking for help with the manufacturers to get the right settings on this app? I did send a link to a guide published by the manufacturers on how to set up the app but apparently the buyer needs more technical help for this app.

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@jd20005,

These would have been the Xiaomi Dafang security cameras?

I have to admit I would not ever use security cameras that send the data to a server in China. Ah well, your buyer made the decision to buy these...

From a quick google, it appears that the app, "Mi home", is tricky to use. The iTunes reviews are admittedly not impressive. This whirlpool thread talks about trying to get the cameras working with the app, and I'm not surprised that your buyer is having problems, according to what's posted on that thread. The instructions are in Chinese, apparently. Hardware-wise, seemingly good, but software-wise, not (according to this YouTube video).

Okay ... looking to see if there's anything helpful that you can send your buyer (because you want your buyer to be able to use this product)... I've found two YouTube videos that seem to have fantastic information detailing exactly how to set it up.

Video - unboxing & setup.

Follow-up video - adding a second camera.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Above and beyond - commendable.

My compliments Countess.

Melina.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

Above and beyond - commendable.

Countessa's sleuthing abilities rival those of k1ooo, digi and Stawks (amongst others) melina.      sleuther.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

countessalmirena  Thank you for the links to these videos. I have forwarded them on to the buyer. Hopefully they help. I think from now on I'm just going to recommend that he contact the manufacturers of the app and seek help through their official website and forums. Having never used the app myself I am not the best person to be seeking help from.

You are right in that it was the buyers decision to buy this product. However, it seems like he mustn't have done any research about the product and now that it isn't just plug and pay he has just decided that he wants a refund. I can understand the buyer is frustrated with the manufacturers app but he needs to also be aware that there were other people bidding on this item who most likely would be able to follow the guides and update the app software etc. Even if I get the cameras back I would never be able to list them as brand new again.

Edit: The real kicker is that I have sold around 8 items just over the past few weeks and no one has given me any feedback even though I get the packages out the same day or next and make sure everything is packaged really well. I have the feeling that if the buyer doesn't get his way on this I'm heading for a negative feedback.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Melina, padi, girl-blush-blush.gifjust doing a little to follow in the great tradition of almost everyone on these boards. (And still learning myself...)

My chief weapon is the previous posts of the Discussion Boards... the previous posts of the Discussion Boards and the eBay links ...previous posts of the Discussion Boards and eBay links.... My two weapons are the previous posts of the Discussion Boards and the eBay links... and ruthless Googling.... My three weapons are the previous posts of the Discussion Boards, the eBay links, and ruthless Googling...and an almost fanatical devotion to coffee.... My four...no... Amongst my weapons.... Amongst my weaponry...are such elements as previous posts of the Discussion Boards, eBay links.... I'll come in again.

googleq.gifsherlocksmile.gifspinquisition.gif

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@jd20005, so many buyers don't research before they buy. eBay makes it easy for buyers to claim that the item is not as described, and because you've included the reference to the app in your listing, in eBay's terms it behoves you to give the buyer whatever assistance possible to get those cameras working with the app. Anything that you can do at this stage to see the buyer satisfied is sound common sense.

The last thing you want is the buyer giving up in frustration and claiming that the cameras are not as described - or going for a change of mind refund.

Re feedback... yes... that is a very common issue mentioned on the boards. The total number of satisfied buyers is far far less than the total number of satisfied buyers who leave feedback (positive), whereas the total number of dissatisfied buyers is almost commensurate with the total number of dissatisfied buyers who leave feedback (negative), so feedback for low volume sellers is skewed towards the red if anything at all goes wrong or is perceived to go wrong.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@ Padi

Yes, you are so right. I've more than received my fair share of their collective 'abilities' .... Lol.

Ah! Without PIP's it's nice to let them know it's not unnoticed and it's appreciated I think Padi.

Too many things in here are sometimes taken for granted I think. And I've said it before, they should be high on eBays payroll.

Melina.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@ countessalmirena Thanks for the added info. I wasn't sure how much responsiblity I had for the app. Looks like we will be going for a partial refund solution. I can't help thinking what if another buyer had been the top bidder, perhaps one with the patience to try and get help from the manufacturer or someone who had previous experience of the product. I wonder if the other sellers of this product on Ebay AU has this sort of problem from buyers. Either way the local buy and sell groups on facebook are looking more appealing after all this.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I came across this when i googled the model which was a forum from end of last year so may be worth a shot.

uninstall your app and install it again. it you will be ask for updates for app, dont install them (that will bring you back to non working state)

Steps are - uninstall the app, install again, choose China server and then login. add new device

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply