Buyer asking to combine postage

Hi all.  I sold 2 separate items to the same buyer, both with instant paypal payment.  I charge $6.00 for postage on all my items.  The buyer paid - no problem there - but has asked if I can combine postage.

I'm not sure what they mean - do they want both in the same parcel or do they want one postage charge refunded? 

For future reference, how can I make a request like this "automated" in my listings?  e.g. so they know that if they buy 2 different items, the post will be X.

I understand how to do it if the buyer has bought 2 out of the 5 identical items I may have listed, but completely separate items?  Not sure which way to go and don't want to risk a neg through misunderstanding.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Buyer asking to combine postage

Combining postage means to put them together and when doing this it is expected to get a partial refund of any excess postage.

BUT if a buyer pays before you can send the combined invoice then you can not send it.

Once a buyer purchases multiple items they need to wait for you to send the combined invoice to have all the items together before they pay.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

if each payment was individually made via paypal

you will need to send in 2 parcels, each with individual tracking nos. to qualify for paypal seller protection

instant payment is good for single sales but can cause probs when buyers expect to get a discount on the postage paid and get them all in one parcel (without paypal protection)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

alligator_snapping_turtle
Community Member

Why are you beating around the bush? You know what is being asked and requested. I do not like sellers who "Play Dumb" to earn money from postage. The buyer has obviously expected that you group the items in one parcel and refund the extra difference paid. You know that is what they are expecting so why ask?

"BITE ME!"
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Combined postage is not the same as discounted postage.

As they are 2 transactions to protect yourself with Paypal you need to send 2 parcels.

If you wish to offer a postage discount for multiple purchases then you cannot request instant payment as you need to combine the invoices before the buyer pays..

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Sometimes when there is combined postage it actually costs more to post depending on the weight and thickness of the parcel/letter,so it's actually cheaper to send separately..So the wording combined postage doesn't mean discount it means to put into the parcel/letter and send as one.Therefor to word it correctly it should be discount postage on multiple items if the item can fit into one without going over size or weight.$6 for postage is a fair price it's the postage cost that you see for $100+ when the item sells for $5 to $10 is when there is postage rip off.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Why are you beating around the bush? You know what is being asked and requested. I do not like sellers who "Play Dumb" to earn money from postage. The buyer has obviously expected that you group the items in one parcel and refund the extra difference paid. You know that is what they are expecting so why ask?

good idea to ask, as the seller obviously does not realize that 2 x paypal payments will require 2 different aust post tracking numbers.

therefore, 2 shipments need to be made once 2 individual payments have gone thru

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Do you mean you require instant payment or that the buyer paid instantly? If you have instant payment required then you should probably say in your listings that because instant payment is required you are unable to offer combined postage or give any discounts.

Of course if you don't use click & send or signature required you have no seller protection anyway and could just pop them both in the same parcel and give a partial refund through Paypal. If you do post by a method that has seller protection they you must send in different parcels so they have different tracking numbers.

If you don't require instant payment but mean the buyer paid straight away then the only way you can have seller protection and send them both in the same parcel is to refund the buyer's payment and send them a combined invoice with a discount.

I have it in my listings that a postage discount may be given on items ending within 7 days and paid on a single invoice so if they make separate payments I just treat them as different transactions and send 2 parcels. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Just a small warning - if you refund a lot of part payments or full payments (so you can reissue a combined invoice), you may get a warning from paypal.

Floored me, it did.

l refund any over payment in postage so l can combine a buyer's purchases. If they pay two lots of postage, l refund one postage payment and send items together. Using Click and Send, the tracking number gets put on both items so covered by paypal.

Thing is, l got a warning through paypal about the amount of refunds being issued. The warning stated that my account was now flagged and if it continued, would be sent for review.

l have no idea what 'review' means but it dosen't sound like something l am going to enjoy.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Here is a problem simple communication would have solved, the buyer should of indicated that they where interested in 2 items and asked for combined postage before bidding.

You have 12 dollars to play with, simply post them together and refund the difference.

As you look like a new seller  make some T&C's up stating your are happy to combine postage if notified before the end of sale.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply