Buyer claims item not as described because charger wasn't included

nessa93i
Community Member
Hi there,

I recently sold an adonit pixel stylus and described it as "used: unpackaged but never used" because I'd taken it out of the box but had it sitting in my pencil holder. So I sold it and now the buyer is saying that it isn't as described because the charger isn't included. I listed it as the stylus and the pictures showed only the stylus. What should I do? I never said the charger wasn't included because it didn't occur to me to do so but I also never said it was included. Other people messaged me asking if the charger was included and I answered honestly no. How should I handle this? Thank you!
Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Springy, since the OP has said they have the charger for the stylus, why not just contact the buyer and offer (with apologies) to send them the charger post free...................

To be quite honest I'd even forgotten the stylus had a charger as I'd never used it. Silly mistake on my part.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

I suppose by that logic I should mention that there is no car/boat/house included in my listings? Call me crazy, but I assume that what is in the photo is what I'm going to get. If it's showing a pen without a lid, as far as I'm aware, I'm getting a pen without a lid.....unless the description states the lid is included, but it isn't in the photos. I would not try to claim a refund if I got a pen without a lid. No lid was mentioned. No lid was photographed.

OP, tell the buyer to get stuffed. You didn't mention a charger being with the item, they shouldn't assume there was one.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

yeah that.gif     It's a stylus pictured from every angle.    Only the stylus.

Why would you assume there would be a charger?

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I suppose by that logic I should mention that there is no car/boat/house included in my listings?

That's a little absurd, though. Most products don't come packaged with cars, so it would be ridiculous to assume that a car would come with a mobile phone, for example. 

For some people, it would be more akin to listing a car, showing it from various angles inside and out, but not showing the wheels, which is something most cars pretty much have as standard, and then when it arrives without wheels, saying "well, I never said wheels were included". (I do say some people would be more inclined to make that kind of comparison, though I recognise this example is not quite the same as the listing for the stylus). 

The point is, for some people, it's not unusual to assume that a product will contain all of its original accessories that are required for it to function, unless the description says otherwise, and it's not that far-fetched or unreasonable to make that assumption. 

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I suppose by that logic I should mention that there is no car/boat/house included in my listings? Call me crazy, but I assume that what is in the photo is what I'm going to get. If it's showing a pen without a lid, as far as I'm aware, I'm getting a pen without a lid.....unless the description states the lid is included, but it isn't in the photos. I would not try to claim a refund if I got a pen without a lid. No lid was mentioned. No lid was photographed.

OP, tell the buyer to get stuffed. You didn't mention a charger being with the item, they shouldn't assume there was one.

I don't see it as quite the same as I assume the stylus would need the charger to keep on working, otherwise it would run down?

The logical solution could be for the seller to post the person the charger, if they still have it, as they probably won't be needing it now anyway.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

I'd imagine it probably would need the charger, but it wasn't advertised as having one. I have seen phones sold without chargers and chargers sold without phones. If it's not mentioned in the listing, you shouldn't assume that it's there. If I bought a second hand phone and there was no mention of a charger, I'd go and buy a charger. The phone isn't useless if it's not sold with a charger.

Why should the OP be out of pocket for postage for another item when they did nothing wrong? And for an item that wasn't included in the listing?

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Google is also your friend.   Buyer can buy a new charger for that stylus for $15

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Springy, since the OP has said they have the charger for the stylus, why not just contact the buyer and offer (with apologies) to send them the charger post free...................

To be quite honest I'd even forgotten the stylus had a charger as I'd never used it. Silly mistake on my part.

Padi, I read it as the OP didn't think of the stylus as having a charger as the OP had never used the stylus. 

I don't think OP has a charger.

And springy these types of items often don't require a charger, can be charged using a USB cable.

image host
Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Ah, but in one of the OP's other posts is this bit Kopes. Which also led me to believe they had the charger................

When bought new with packaging the charger does come with it. However it is also sold separately.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Google is also your friend.   Buyer can buy a new charger for that stylus for $15

All this angst over a $15 item? The OP's buyer should just suck it up and buy the item that wasn't part of the listing they bought.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply