Buyer claims product never arrived despite australia post saying otherwise

Never Had an item not arrived case before, so i was wonder how to proceed in this matter. 

A Buyer from South Australia messaged me last night about an item they claimed they never received which was sent over 8 months ago, on the 23 of February 2022, the day after it was purchased. After contacting Australia post, they say that the item was delivered about 6 days after it was sent. But as it is now many months since it was sent they cannot investigate further. 

I responded straight away to the buyer and have updated them as to the response from Australia Post. Do I wait for them to escalate this further or do i preemptively contact ebay in case they demand a refund? 

The buyer had access to the tracking number for their purchase since it was sent, but only contacted me now when it is too late for Australia post to investigate. How should I proceed with this matter?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eight months ago? EIGHT months ago?

It’s a stale complaint. After all of this time, they may not remember having received it, hidden it, used it, lost it, lent it, broken it… In short, I’m sorry if the buyers genuinely didn’t receive the item (parcel went astray? was stolen from their safe place? was destroyed in a courier van fire?), but if AP see a delivery status of “delivered”, and given the 2/3 of a year that’s passed, it really is too late for them to suddenly wake up and seek a remedy.

(It’s hard to fathom why a buyer would genuinely wait for so long, anyway.)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

They are way out of time to open a dispute with both Paypal and eBay, and probably a credit card chargeback as well.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I would then stop responding as there is nothing more to be done.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Ignore them. They are trying it on. Block them. And sleep in the knowledge that they are an unskilled wannabe scammer.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

They can't open a dispute. They can't do a chargeback. They can't "escalate". They can't demand a refund. They can't leave negative feedback. They can't do anything. The tracking number would no longer work. They are full of it. Block them and ignore any messages. Don't contact ebay. There is no point.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Eight months ago? EIGHT months ago?

It’s a stale complaint. After all of this time, they may not remember having received it, hidden it, used it, lost it, lent it, broken it… In short, I’m sorry if the buyers genuinely didn’t receive the item (parcel went astray? was stolen from their safe place? was destroyed in a courier van fire?), but if AP see a delivery status of “delivered”, and given the 2/3 of a year that’s passed, it really is too late for them to suddenly wake up and seek a remedy.

(It’s hard to fathom why a buyer would genuinely wait for so long, anyway.)

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@sons - whilst technically true that they shouldn't be able to open a dispute, I had a buyer last year who managed to open one after 6 months, so it definitely can happen.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply