Buyer decided she bought the "wrong" edition and wants a return?

I put a textbook for sale and not only did the buyer create a hassle with wanting to cancel the order then decided to actually go ahead with the order soon after, but a few days later she now tells me she bought the wrong edition and wants a refund.

Here's the thing...

I had "no refunds" on the listing of the product, and this is my first time selling so I have no idea what to do.

She's offered to post the item back and I refund her.

But is it not her fault?

What do I do?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer decided she bought the "wrong" edition and wants a return?

Just wondering if you put the Edition number in the listing? If not, then the buyer should have asked if it was important to them.

I have sold Uni textbooks for my family, and I always put the Edition number in the listing, as most buyers want the latest edition. Although some will go for older editions if the price is low.

No refunds is allowed to be stated in listings - for change of mind/buyers remorse reasons. There is blurb that comes up in that section that states buyers still have statutory rights (or something along those lines)...which covers faulty goods.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

i think ebay would only have to look at the messages to see this is a buyer who has changed her mind whther a dot was left or not and it ruined feedback, starting a new ID is no biggie.

It is now if it is to be used for selling. Low limit for no of items listed  for the month, money held for 21 days by paypal etc.

Limits not likely to be lifted in a hurry either if eBay check and see seller had a poor record on an existing selling ID.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I sold an item a couple of weeks ago, for a much larger price than the items in question (old TV magazines) usually go for. The winning bidder was buying on the basis of the personality featured on the cover (as was the under-bidder, who's purchased a large number of the magazines from me in the same period).

Surprise, surprise - just had a message from the buyer, claiming to be disappointed to have found that the personality is only featured on the cover and has no article in the magazine itself, and requesting a refund on that basis: "Unfortunately, this is not what I expected. I don't mind paying the price but with no article on the one featured on the cover, I cannot keep this".

The item description didn't state that the magazine featured an article on the personality, and I have "No Returns" listed in the appropriate area.

I'm not prepared to accept a return because the item's as described (and, in any case, the money's gone, so I can't issue a refund...). So, I guess I'll just have to cop the neg that I'll receive as a result....

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply