Buyer demands to return and refund after 8 months from date of purchase

kea5053
Community Member

Hi all, recently I had a buyer who demands he want to return and refund after he purchased the goods on 24th June 2018 and on 22nd February 2019 he contacted me said he want to return and refund for this item as this item is not compatible with his car. I do understand he is out of eBay buyer protection and Paypal protection. I just wondering am I responsible to accept this return under Australian Consumers Law as I think this buyer award he have out of the protection from eBay and Paypal. Anyone could help me out of this? Thank you

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@kea5053 wrote:

I just wondering am I responsible to accept this return under Australian Consumers Law 

If your listing said "no returns", you wouldn't have even been obliged under ACL to accept the return 1 day after they got it, let alone 8 months.

If your listing did say returns are accepted, then you would have been obliged to accept it (subject to whatever conditions you laid out) only for the return window specified (back then you could have as little as 7 days after the buyer receives, though now the minimum you can set - if you accept them at all - is 30 days, or 60 days if you want to be overly generous).

So, as lyndal said, no matter which way you dice it, this buyer is not entitled to return the item, under any policy or law. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have no responsibility to this buyer....it is not your fault that the item is not compatible with his car....it was just as incompatible now as it was when he bought it last year.

He is out of luck!!

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@kea5053 wrote:

I just wondering am I responsible to accept this return under Australian Consumers Law 

If your listing said "no returns", you wouldn't have even been obliged under ACL to accept the return 1 day after they got it, let alone 8 months.

If your listing did say returns are accepted, then you would have been obliged to accept it (subject to whatever conditions you laid out) only for the return window specified (back then you could have as little as 7 days after the buyer receives, though now the minimum you can set - if you accept them at all - is 30 days, or 60 days if you want to be overly generous).

So, as lyndal said, no matter which way you dice it, this buyer is not entitled to return the item, under any policy or law. 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I would think after 8 months - "tell him he's dreaming!"

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply