Buyer disputes, claiming only one item sent when I sent two.

Hi ebay sellers, I have had a couple of sales recently where the buyer is claiming that they recieved only one item when they ordered two -  i sent them both out in the same tracked parcel, I know I did not make this mistake, I always triple check before posting out and mark them off as I'm packing and sending out. I have been selling on ebay since 2000, my last account was a commercial account that went with the sale of my business. 

I get the feeling because the items im selling are such a low value items and if they open a dispute they know that is more expensisive for me to send out a second item that i will just give a refund.  This has happened to me 3 times in the last 3 weeks... is this a loophole that buyers are aware of to get free stuff? 

anyone had this experience? 

whats the best way to deal with this?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer disputes, claiming only one item sent when I sent two.

@countessalmirena wrote:

A seller once said "Sir, you still owe

for a scam that you pulled, ex nihilo".

Too, that buyer had claimed

He a JP was named

- What a shameless and vile peccadillo!

10.jpg

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

NO COMMENT.

Spoiler
Not even a skerrick! 

None needed, but as I said - consistency and reliability is the primary reason. I'm not interested in anything else, or creating them in place of an unreliable memory as that just defeats part of the purpose - also it means I can send that image through very rapidly -  if you can think of staging it, a buyer can accuse me of staging it if it takes me an hour instead of a minute. (Besides which, there is other data that would not match - my sig on a label will not be identical, nor will the way I wrote the address on the envelope, if I used printed labels, maybe I don't get the placement exactly the same - if a buyer is accusing me of not sending everything, nothing will give them greater ammo than "proof" that can be immediately debunked Smiley Tongue )

I also store about 1000 photos a month for at least 6 months. On the (extremely unlikely) chance it ever comes in handy as a whole, it's there, ready and waiting, nothing further required. 

I really don't think any of this would get you anywhere with Ebay, unless you filmed doing all this at the PO counter, lodging and handing it over, it's a bit void because how do they know you haven't opened it prior to lodging? The buyer money back guarantee would trump a home video of you packaging IMO

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

I've been one of those people that has recieved an item without all its parts and it also appeared used. It was a set of clippers missing scissors interestingly it had an extra comb in unsealed not part of the set. The seller claimed these came straight from the factory so I am not sure what happened there or if someone on the converyer belt whipped it out and had a quick trim LOL!!!!!  The thing is hubby was begining to look like a gorilla so I decided to use the item anyhow. I contacted the seller to let them know of the missing item. I don't think they believed me. I explained what is pictured on the box should be IN the box. But I wasn't planning to send it back and I had used the item. It worked fine. So all good. A few days later after a hassle with a cordless pair from another seller they finally came and everything pictured on the box was in the box and they were clearly new. First ones where def used. 

Point is it does happen and it doesn't mean everyone is scamming. But there are those unsavoury people who really do make it harder for the genuine ones. 

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I really don't think any of this would get you anywhere with Ebay, unless you filmed doing all this at the PO counter, lodging and handing it over, it's a bit void because how do they know you haven't opened it prior to lodging? The buyer money back guarantee would trump a home video of you packaging IMO

Yes - I said as much in post number 7, where I acknowledged this helps me because my buyers don't open disputes, and that if disputes were open, I'd go with tazzie's advice.

The liars generally go away when confronted with a reply that's basically "I know you are lying", and when I have records that can confirm 100% whether the buyer is telling me the truth or not, regardless of whether a dispute is open, I can handle each one in the right way and block the ones I know are lying. Before I started taking the photos, I could never know for sure and in those conditions, you either have to trust everyone to your own detriment, or trust no one and block everyone, also to your own detriment (not even people who have been buying from me for ages prove to be trustworthy, every now and then a regular I've built a good relationship with will just turn, like they woke up one day and decided they've spent enough money with me and are now entitled to free items or something). 

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to do any more than act as a deterent to some buyers who are "testing the waters" of the MGB and for whom arguing against a video is beyond their comfort zone.

As a seller you need to pick your battles, but there are some where this would absolutely be effective in getting a buyer to disengage.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

Yes - I said as much in post number 7, where I acknowledged this helps me because my buyers don't open disputes, and that if disputes were open, I'd go with tazzie's advice.

The liars generally go away when confronted with a reply that's basically "I know you are lying", and when I have records that can confirm 100% whether the buyer is telling me the truth or not, regardless of whether a dispute is open, I can handle each one in the right way and block the ones I know are lying. Before I started taking the photos, I could never know for sure and in those conditions, you either have to trust everyone to your own detriment, or trust no one and block everyone, also to your own detriment (not even people who have been buying from me for ages prove to be trustworthy, every now and then a regular I've built a good relationship with will just turn, like they woke up one day and decided they've spent enough money with me and are now entitled to free items or something). 

Okay I getya 😁 I really should read ALL the comments before commenting

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@bella_again wrote:

I've been one of those people that has recieved an item without all its parts and it also appeared used. It was a set of clippers missing scissors interestingly it had an extra comb in unsealed not part of the set. The seller claimed these came straight from the factory so I am not sure what happened there or if someone on the converyer belt whipped it out and had a quick trim LOL!!!!!  The thing is hubby was begining to look like a gorilla so I decided to use the item anyhow. I contacted the seller to let them know of the missing item. I don't think they believed me. I explained what is pictured on the box should be IN the box. But I wasn't planning to send it back and I had used the item. It worked fine. So all good. A few days later after a hassle with a cordless pair from another seller they finally came and everything pictured on the box was in the box and they were clearly new. First ones where def used. 

Point is it does happen and it doesn't mean everyone is scamming. But there are those unsavoury people who really do make it harder for the genuine ones. 

Hubby looking like a gorilla 😂 Yes and the seller also may have thought everything was in the box. I quite often sell new/old stock, things that have apparently never been opened. I now always open and check though, unless still sealed in shrinkwrap after a buyer contacted me once to say a part was missing. I believe she was being honest

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply