Buyer expects to keep incorrectly sent item for free. Hmm...what to do?

We accidentally sent a wrong sized folder to a buyer.

Of course, I've already sent out the correct one.

The wrong one is valued at $18.95 - I told them if they want, they can keep it for $6. Or, alternatively, they could please return it and I'll compensate return costs.

However, the buyer says that it's not fair to pay $6 if "we the seller" sent the wrong stuff in the first place.

??????

Yeah- can't argue with people like that.

I don't really care for $6. It's more the kind of customers eBay is breeding if I facilitate this. The $6 is just a message- you don't get a free item for another's mistake.

Suggestions good citizens? 🙂

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I once bought some windchimes on eBay, and very shortly after I had paid for them I received a message from the seller, saying he had made a mistake and sent the wrong item.He did not wish to inconvenience me, since it was his mistake, and had already sent the correct item in hot pursuit of the first one.

So he urged me to keep the first item, not to be alarmed it was not what I had ordered, but accept it gratis and wait for the second set.

Which duly arrived. I offered to return the first lot, but he declined so I wound up with both sets of chimes, and I never hear the first set without thinking kindly of that seller.

Of course it was easy for a seller with duplicates of items to be graceful about it,  the situation would be worse if a one-off item sold to another and sent to the wrong address.

BUT it wasn't the recipients fault, was it?

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do."

Goethe

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

Icollected,my dad-retired accountant of 40 years-used to use what he called 'the law of averages' ie 1 in 50.

So in your case,that means you copped the 1 in 50 who is a bit of a scuzzbucket.I wouldn't be surprised if they also left you a neg or neut either going by the attitude you've stated they seem to have.

JMO but throw your arms up,shake your head,block them & forget it.

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

Further to what Tall Bearded posted. If the item sent was not what the buyer ordered, wouldn't it be considered 'unsolicited mail'?

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

I think a lot of people are getting my priorities wrong.

It's not the profit/loss that I am concerned about at all.

It's more the expectation. As stated in numerous posts, I'm letting them keep it.

So the question is more, is expecting the item free, reasonable?

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

I don't think it's reasonable, but I'm the sort of bloke who will walk out of a shop, count my change, realise I have too much and return the surplus.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

Icollected-read my previous post again.

Buyer is NOT reasonable IMO.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

Icollected-read my previous post again.

Buyer is NOT reasonable IMO.

My post was not directed at you.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

My post was not directed at you.

Sorry,thought you may have overlooked it which is easy to do 🙂

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

Sounds like the buyer is being unreasonable but there are people out there who think they are right no matter what. 

If the buyer does not want to pay $6 which I think you are being very fair and reasonable with this offer, I would offer to send a prepaid satchel so all the buyer has to do is put it in the mailbox and a discount on what they actually bought to compensate them for the inconvenience ( 20 percent ? ) Of course I would offer the refund of the discount once you have received the wrong item back.

If they still fail to agree then I would block them. But don't be extorted to give away free items by threats of negative feedback. Some buyers use this to scam their way to negotiate free items.

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

Sorry,thought you may have overlooked it which is easy to do 🙂

Oh no all good 🙂

@2011rachel

Oh yes, definitely offered to pay for all return costs.

$6 to keep, or we pay for return.

Buyer actually states explicitly I should receive the item free because it was your mistake.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply