Buyer expects to keep incorrectly sent item for free. Hmm...what to do?

We accidentally sent a wrong sized folder to a buyer.

Of course, I've already sent out the correct one.

The wrong one is valued at $18.95 - I told them if they want, they can keep it for $6. Or, alternatively, they could please return it and I'll compensate return costs.

However, the buyer says that it's not fair to pay $6 if "we the seller" sent the wrong stuff in the first place.

??????

Yeah- can't argue with people like that.

I don't really care for $6. It's more the kind of customers eBay is breeding if I facilitate this. The $6 is just a message- you don't get a free item for another's mistake.

Suggestions good citizens? 🙂

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

However, the buyer says that it's not fair to pay $6 if "we the seller" sent the wrong stuff in the first place.

??????

Well, you did offer them a resolution that means they don't have to pay anything...it's just that they don't get to keep something for nothing - I'd point out that they won't have to pay anything for it at all if they return it (although I can understand they might take issue with having to pay postage up front and wait for it to be refunded, usually, and wherever possible, I work out what the buyer prefers first and enclose a postage paid envelope or satchel with the replacement if the first one is being returned).

Sheesh, I've been sent the wrong item a couple of times, and have paid for the incorrect item if I wanted to keep it, even if the seller has told me not to worry about it. It's hardly fair to expect to keep something for free, but at the same time it's not just eBay that are 'breeding' customers with those kinds of expectations. Independent codes of practice, guarantees and the like that promise items for free if even the most minor of expectations aren't met are rife in retail and service (eg get the item free if it scans at a higher price at the supermarket checkout - little to no inconvenience or anything to the buyer, but they get something for nothing anyway).

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Always wise there ghost.

I should enclose a satchel next time. I thought any one would jump the gun with a much simpler option of $6 (well below cost) for a $19 item without the hassle or returning or visiting the post office.

Given the item is very similar to what they wanted.

I may have to back down to this one and let them keep it. Block and move on- knowing that I've contributed, along with all those supermarkets, to this sort of expectation and behaviour.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

If it were me I would send the correct one and let them keep the incorrect item. I have done this before. As you did send the wrong item I would just move on

We have all sent the wrong thing at one time. Whatever is the less stressful for you and your buyer I say

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

I will chicken out and do that. Though know that you and I are contributing to this sort of expectation; and it's very unforgiving.

I would like to think that Australians are bit more understanding than that; "anything for a buck or two". 

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

We've sent the wrong thing a few times - we generally tell the buyer to keep it (we shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place).

If we really wanted the item back we'd include a a pre-paid, pre-addressed satchell with the replacement item. 

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Not me I'm afraid.  I would have asked for the incorrect item to be returned before I sent out another one and paid for the return postage; the $ value is not the point.  Letting Numpties have goods for free merely encourages them to try it on again - imo:|

We are all human and as such, we will occasionally make mistakes, and if buyers don't understand that, they have a problem.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Like you said it was a mistake. We, as sellers are conditioned to be punished for the slightest mistake.

We're all guilty of this and it appears we've gone to far to turn back. Customers expect it. Sellers accept it.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Not me I'm afraid.  I would have asked for the incorrect item to be returned before I sent out another one and paid for the return postage; the $ value is not the point.  Letting Numpties have goods for free merely encourages them to try it on again - imo:|

We are all human and as such, we will occasionally make mistakes, and if buyers don't understand that, they have a problem.

Absolutely agree with you. I'm gutless though 😐 I think I'll back down to this one.

I just wanted to see what others think on the matter 🙂

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

When all is said and done, icollected, it is a person's individual choice how they deal with difficult customers:-)  I'm just one mean 'ole bear;\

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply