Buyer has requested a refund

I have a buyer who as received his "new with tags " item and wants to return it to me becasue he doesn't like it, it is not he colour described and it looks used. My problem is that it is brand new, the description was the manufacturers description so accurate, and as for the colour. it is grey, and perhaps appeared darker on his monitor than it actually is. 

My question is...do i have any recourse with ebay in refusing his request for a refund? He has requested a refund through paypal and have sent him a message without escalating to a dispute at this stage. My positive feedback is 100% and I want to keep it this way but dont want to take an item back that was described accurately. 

Any advise?

thanks

Donna

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Possibly best ask them to initiate an item not as described dispute.

Ebay will then ask them to return it at their cost. If the item is returned in the condition in which you sent it, refund (and I would also refund postage), readvertise and move on.

I would not refund unless they return it. In the real world of shopping, an item has to be returned for a refund or replacement!!!

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I am happy for buyers to return items, unworn, unwashed and in the condition they were set in, for a refund of item cost only. I also offer then the option of using my photos and description if they would rather resell it. If the fault is mine then I refund in full.

With this one as long as you are sure it was as described if they have or are going to open a Paypal dispute make sure you put your case very clearly, state that it was new in and had never been worn or washed and that any colour difference must have been down to the buyer's monitor as the photos look correct on your screen.

Paypal should find in your favour but rumour has it that is decided by the toss of a coin so don't be surprised if they find against you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I've often wondered about refunding the buyer's return postage. We have never had a return as yet.

In "the real world of shopping" if you take an item back for refund/exchange do they repay you your costs to get it back to them.

Maybe you travelled by bus/train so there are fares, or drove so there is the cost of petrol etc etc.

People seem to happily accept that these costs are theirs but on the other hand will demand that the seller pays their return postage costs. Seems a tad unfair to me to expect this.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

In "the real world of shopping" if you take an item back for refund/exchange do they repay you your costs to get it back to them.

Different scenario, if you buy from a 'real' shop you have the chance to examine the goods and make sure they are what you want so there should be very little chance of taking it back as it is faulty. Same with pick up items on ebay, there is no buyer protection because you should check it out before paying.

With an on line purchase it is different, you are going entirely on the seller's description. If goods are faulty or not as described then the seller does not have to refund return postage however along with many other sellers I don't see why a buyer should be out of pocket because I have made a mistake. If I think the item can be fixed and resold for more than the cost of the return postage I will send them a pre paid, ready labelled click & send satchel to return it in. If it is not able to be re sold I just refund and tell them to chuck it in the bin.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I've often wondered about refunding the buyer's return postage. We have never had a return as yet.

Maybe you travelled by bus/train so there are fares, or drove so there is the cost of petrol etc etc.

People seem to happily accept that these costs are theirs but on the other hand will demand that the seller pays their return postage costs. Seems a tad unfair to me to expect this.

I have personally always found the comparison of return postage costs to travel expenses to be a poor one (I actually feel that way about most comparisons between online and B&M retail, they present unique situations and don't often have direct comparisons, it's just that B&M retail has more well established and standard practices when something similar occurs).

The point of collection for an online purchase and the point of collection for a B&M purchase is where a closer (though not perfect) comparison can be made, IMO. For an online purchase, you pay a total price to get an item to a point of collection (be that your home, a PO box, or whatever). Same deal at a B&M shop - the total price you pay after you get there includes things like freight costs to get items to the store.

If I buy something online that's faulty, I then may incur travel expenses plus return P&H costs, and no matter what, I know I won't get those travel expenses back from the seller (nor would I expect to). 

If I buy a DVD player from Target and it doesn't work so take it back, they're not going to cover my travelling expenses back to the store, but if the product needs to be sent somewhere else, they're not going to charge me delivery costs, either. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

We have had females buy our product and pay 4 it on the spur of the moment ,different story when hubby gets home or finds out.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply